MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
oldpro
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brisket Size

The local supermarket had packer briskets on for $1.47 a pound. When I went to pick up a couple, they ranged in size from 14 to 22 pounds. I like to buy the size that fits my smokers, which are in the 10 pound range.

What do you think is the ideal size brisket, with grade not a consideration and if cooking time is not an issue? Obviously the huge briskets come from larger cattle, but what effect does that have on the finished product?
oldpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Generally I'm flexible with anything in the 13-18 lb range being the most common. I have a 16 lber being defrosted right now.

That said, I also pay attention to the fat content (surface of flat) as well as the overall shape / cut when making a pick.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

For me, the bigger the better as long as it looks and feels fresh.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I usually try to find one from 14 to 16 pounds as thick in the middle as possible.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I pick them based on flexibility, being well sealed in cryo, flat thickness and appearance. Weight is only a concern in terms of having enough to go around. I can always buy another, and can always dole out leftovers.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

I look for the biggest "right hand" brisket that is limber and that overall looks good and meaty. A lot of it is by feel and touch.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I pick them based on flexibility, being well sealed in cryo, flat thickness and appearance. Weight is only a concern in terms of having enough to go around. I can always buy another, and can always dole out leftovers.
Took the words right out of my mouth! There's a 13 pounder wet aging in the fridge right now. CAB Choice. It was the most flexible one in the bunch, with a tight cryovac seal. Cheers!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

^^^What the last 4 people said^^^

I like to take them and try to bend them so they touch end to end. If it feels like it's fighting me the whole way, I keep looking. But if it bends easily, it finds its way into my grocery cart.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Wampus

I look for thicker flats, which will yield taller slices (mostly just for comps), but most importantly is the flexibility of the brisket and no air in cryo. I learned this from biggie, he's my brisket mentor (even if he doesn't know it )

Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

I like them in the 15-20 lb. range with a thick flat. Thin flats dry out more easily.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
LMAJ

$1.49/lb??
Would you buy a bunch and ship to me please? Even with shipping that would be cheaper then the $4.00 - $4.99 I have to pay...

Oh - size makes no difference to me.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Interestingly enough, my local HEB has recently started selling packers cut in half lengthwise. I was thinking about picking up three or four to enable me to try multiple combinations of rub, foil, etc side by side. Seems like it would make for some strangely configured slices, though. They are selling they for the same $1.39 per pound whole or half.