MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #16
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

My .02 worth. We all know that you have to change your q based upon the region you are competing in. This is because tastes vary from region to region. This said, I would think that Florida would be the toughest, because Florida is more of a melting pot and everybody there is from all over the damned place. This would also help to explain the wide range of numbers for both the winners and the losers.

As Jimmy Buffett says, "Everybody's got a cousin in Miami".

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #17
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
This said, I would think that Florida would be the toughest, because Florida is more of a melting pot and everybody there is from all over the damned place. This would also help to explain the wide range of numbers for both the winners and the losers.
Good point - like the time I entered a salsa (not dance) contest in MD. I turned two in that I thought were hands-down winners. I lost to someone who used canned tomatoes and corn. Depression mod.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:23 AM   #18
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead

As Jimmy Buffett says, "Everybody's got a cousin in Miami".
OMG - you got that right!!! (Love that song, BTW!) The Snow Birds are down in full force right now!

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
jeffsasmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #19
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Well, DF and I have "hashed out" our future (if we have one) every which way.

Decision--the Southern Brethren are gonna compete KCBS only and Judge FBA till further notice.
By Judging FBA, we can stay active in the Association and monitor the scoring guidance and trends. Maybe we can work "within the system" to improve it. We will see. It has to more rational before we invest more $$ to compete in FBA.

KCBS is a real logiscal problem with DF living "waaaay" down in FL, but we will work it out. Lots of travel with only 3 known KCBS events in FL later in the year.
$ investment is up for each event with travel and lodging, but fewer (higher quailty) events, so we will try to make it happen.

Next event will be Al State Championships (the real State Championship best I can tell) at Mobile on 4-5 March. Gonna be 70 teams. $15K purse with $1000 first in each meat category and paying through 10th in each category. $2500 Grand and $1500 Reserve payouts. 3 day event starting on Thursday. Only $200 entry--KEWL!

The FBA event (same weekend) is looking like $300 to enter, $500 max for 1st, and paying 5 places with a $1200 Grand and $800 Reserve payout.

Mobile is gonna draw some real talent. We ain't skeered

Will be fun

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
parrothead

You go guys! Hope you find the kcbs more to your liking.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2005, 04:11 AM   #21
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

[quote="kapndslThe FBA event (same weekend) TIM[/quote] Tim, will you and David be Judging at the Okeechobee event in Feb.? It's the closest to Stuart, so my wife and I are going - would like to stop by and say Hi to you guys!

Sounds like a sound judgement you made on competing. We're making plans to attend the Royal in October - hope you make it there, too!

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer

Old 01-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #22
jt
Babbling Farker

Sounds like a good call on your part, Tim & DF. Good luck!

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #23
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Jeff--I have not even started to ponder a judging schedule yet. My guess is that I will be doing some of the few that are "up North" in FL or into GA and DF will probably hang around the Southern end of the state. His wife is a Judge also, so they can get a family day out of a meet.

Will let ya know if I will be in your part of the state.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2005, 04:33 AM   #24
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapndsl
Jeff--I have not even started to ponder a judging schedule yet. My guess is that I will be doing some of the few that are "up North" in FL or into GA and DF will probably hang around the Southern end of the state. His wife is a Judge also, so they can get a family day out of a meet.

Will let ya know if I will be in your part of the state.

TIM
Thanks Tim! Wish there were more of us down here in South Florida.

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer

Old 01-19-2005, 06:13 AM   #25
chad

I'm thinking about judging Wauchula and maybe Okeechobee - depends on family plans and/or whether I want to drive that far that early on a Saturday!! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote