MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?
Yes! 33 28.21%
No! 18 15.38%
Meh 19 16.24%
Pork is now a grilling contest 5 4.27%
Nothing changes for me 34 29.06%
Farker! 8 6.84%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Default The new (again) revised pork rule for 2014

Here's the latest incarnation of the pork rule as approved by the KCBS BoD last night:
Quote:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those.
Discuss
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess it depends on what the definition of "cooked" is.....

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

I like it, it will allow us to set our sauce on the MM and chunks without dragging the whole butt back to the pit
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I suppose I see what they are trying to do with it, but I don't see any way of wording it that will not cause confusion and/or allow for "creative interpretation". Make folks show up with whole butts or shoulders, and cook them how they want... let the judging sort it out.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I think this rule is clear to me, and nothing wrong with it as far as i'm concerned. Cooked meat to me, is at a temperature that is safe to consume as-is (may not be tender, but safe).. cooked pork as per the USDA is 145. This is what I will use as the definition of cooked.

when does this new rule take effect?
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

sigh.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Rub'n Wood BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I do not have the rules in front of me, but I would guess it is similar to brisket now?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

They should have done this latest virson but left the 5lb minnium in as well.

With the rule as it is written, I wounder when some online meat source is going to start marketing just the money muscle in a 3 pack cryovac

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp? I thought the big change was that people could just be cooking money muscles completely separate and not have to wait till the whole butt is "cooked".

Either way doesn't really matter to me. Just wanting to know what they mean .

Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp?
It all comes down to interpretation. "Well Fark after I trimmed this sucker down all I was left with was the MM"

Old 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post

So I read this as the money muscle still has to be attached when it starts cooking. Is that correct? If so, it says once cooked stuff can be separated. What defines "cooked"? A specific temp? I thought the big change was that people could just be cooking money muscles completely separate and not have to wait till the whole butt is "cooked".

Either way doesn't really matter to me. Just wanting to know what they mean .
Not really. There is no longer a minimum cook weight. "Hey, I trimmed my butt and all that was left was the money muscle!"
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

As an organizer, the new version seems to add a bit of clarity about what is permitted.

Since some teams were cooking 2 butts, one for the MM one to pull, it will eliminate that extra butt. Unless you were doing 2 anyway.

So I like what I see as another step in the right direction. First new version was the first step, this version seems like just a clarification on intent. IMO.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't think the problem is the word "cooked". The problem is the word "discretion"...

Personally, I believe it was a waste of time. It opens the door....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Not really. There is no longer a minimum cook weight. "Hey, I trimmed my butt and all that was left was the money muscle!"
Yeah and that makes sense, but their is still ambiguity as to what they consider "cooked". If you can get around they "cooked" wording by trimming to just the MM then why have that in there?

Lets say I want to just cook a MM and during the cook I want to separate the MM, then by the rules before I separate any part of that MM and return it to the smoker it must be "cooked". So KCBS still needs to define cooked. Granted that is a devils advocate example, but still would need clarification by KCBS .

Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I think this rule is clear to me, and nothing wrong with it as far as i'm concerned. Cooked meat to me, is at a temperature that is safe to consume as-is (may not be tender, but safe).. cooked pork as per the USDA is 145. This is what I will use as the definition of cooked.

when does this new rule take effect?
Jan 2014. I asked Jeff on Facebook and you can remove the mm when at temp you want and return rest to pit to finish. Then can sauce mm later and put back on. Jut don't let it go below 140 while holding. He said perfectly legal.