MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
The Drill Sargent
Got Wood.

Default When you are on time and they are not

So a VERY common occurrence in catering is when you are on time with the food, and the party is not. (Wedding goes late, bride gets cold feet, guests held up in traffic, etc) We incurred this last weekend at "The Ranch", not an easy place to cook at in the first place let alone holding food for almost 2 hours after they were supposed to eat. The Mother of the bride wants more pictures, Appetizers ran out an hour ago, guests are starving, other vendors are grumbling about charging extra for the delay. We have learned to roll with the flow, and keep in constant contact with the wedding/party planner, but How have YOU handled these types of situations?

These are some pics from the event
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 001.jpg (90.6 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 004.jpg (63.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 012.jpg (91.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 022.jpg (106.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 023.jpg (119.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 035.jpg (50.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Ranch 09.11.10 040.jpg (16.0 KB, 180 views)
The Drill Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 09-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
hossrocks
On the road to being a farker

We typically just roll with it. 2 hrs is pushing it though. I've had them run up to 1/2 hr late, but 2 hrs is crazy. Did they offer to compensate?
[B]Kuna, ID[/B]
[URL="http://www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com"]www.bigdaddysbbqonline.com[/URL]
Louisiana Grill - Whole Hog
Traeger 150
30x72 Reverse Flow Offset
16ft Wells Cargo Mobile Kitchen
12ft Full service Mobile Kitchen
hossrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

They're paying the bill, so I gently remind that we charge more starting 2 hours after scheduled service until we leave and that food quality suffers with delays......
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
They're paying the bill, so I gently remind that we charge more starting 2 hours after scheduled service until we leave and that food quality suffers with delays......
It's in our contract - Amount of service time allocated, and overtime charges that will apply. Also very direct discussions on expectations for the day
Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice pics, you Steph and the rest of his crew put on a good show. 2hr delays are a lot to handle especially with tri-tip getting cold and overcooked in the cambro
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Utahslo-smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Great looking food! I think you did the rite thing. For us the contract spells it all out the start time and what the fees are for us being there late. I have only ran into it once when they where almost an hour late. If its just me I let it go but if I have staff with me I charge em. That time I suggested the Dj ect ate, thus putting them in a better mood and taking a little of there time up so they didn't realize so much time was passing, getting them off the planners back. After 2 I might have suggested to let the guests start to eat, and done so slowly to keep them there for the bride.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just saw your post Cap(t). Yea it does cut down on the boss' profit.
As Cliff says, I have learned to go for a walk and cool down. It is very hard to talk about billing with the bride or groom during the event , especially if there is no coordinator. I need to start sending this a bill post the reception. Other types of events are no problem!