Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Chris, we all really do appreciate your participation in our BBQ Brethren thread. It is great to have your comments and help. I personally will highly recommend Lone Star Grillz to any of my friends looking for a cooker. Your product is of high quality and your customer support is awesome.

I agree, the smoker is a well built, and very functional. Well worth the money! Chris's continued support is a great asset, and he has helped all of us with our learning curve. :clap2:

What is the groups opinion on placing salmon in the smoker? Good idea or bad? I had heard that the smell of the fish could ruin the inside. I have placed salmon many times in my BGE and had no problem. The fish is always fairly fresh or I will not buy it.

What is the groups opinion on placing salmon in the smoker? Good idea or bad? I had heard that the smell of the fish could ruin the inside. I have placed salmon many times in my BGE and had no problem. The fish is always fairly fresh or I will not buy it.

I don't think you can beat cedar plank on the egg😋

Unless you going to cook more than the egg can handle, it's a big cooker for a few pieces of fish

I don't think you can beat cedar plank on the egg😋

Unless you going to cook more than the egg can handle, it's a big cooker for a few pieces of fish

But if I have room and the cabinet is already going, I thought well maybe. But I do agree that the Egg handles salmon quite well! I still wonder about the smell of the fish lingering well after the salmon comes off. The comment came from a guy with a WSM. I just don't want a :doh: moment!

I wouldn't put seafood in there. The smell will stick everywhere.

I would use my wsm for fish if I was going to try that.

Thanks CL and Dark, You guys are probably right! I can get two whole salmon fillets in my XL BGE. That's enough for a fair sized group. The fillets are usually about 7" wide by 15" long. If I needed to, I could probably get a third on there if I cut it up and place it on the sides of the two whole fillets.

But if I have room and the cabinet is already going, I thought well maybe. But I do agree that the Egg handles salmon quite well! I still wonder about the smell of the fish lingering well after the salmon comes off. The comment came from a guy with a WSM. I just don't want a :doh: moment!

In that case I would do it without giving it a second thought, but I do al lot of things without thinking:wink:

++, except that I've only got WSMs, so fish go on the kettle. My main smokers only get BBQ meat. Keeps them smelling yummy.

Time to kick the tires!

I am going to start a big cook late this afternoon. It will be an over night cook as well. My fridge looks awesome right now...meat everywhere, not a chicken in site :becky:

1. 1x17lb brisket prime
2. 2x13lb briskets choice
3. 1x9lb bone in pork butt
4. 1xsaint Louis style spare rib
5. 3xbaby back ribs
6. 10xEarl Campbell hot links (ya this part is cheating, but they are so good)
7. 28xbacon wrapped jalapeños for snacks :becky:

The plan is to cook with a full water pan, at 225 old school the entire cook, with the guru managing the fire. The meat will be smoked with hickory until the bark and temp look good the next day. Once the briskets are wrapped, I'll start the pork butt, and switch to apple wood, and finish the ribs with apple wood as well. The sausage and jalapeños don't care :) just cook them in the smoker.

I am going to load the smoker with 30lb of kbb charcoal, and see how it runs over 24hours and report back the group with fuel and water consumption.

I will also post the pr0n experience...can't wait to smell like a bbq pit!

I am going to start a big cook late this afternoon. It will be an over night cook as well. My fridge looks awesome right now...meat everywhere, not a chicken in site :becky:

1. 1x17lb brisket prime
2. 2x13lb briskets choice
3. 1x9lb bone in pork butt
4. 1xsaint Louis style spare rib
5. 3xbaby back ribs
6. 10xEarl Campbell hot links (ya this part is cheating, but they are so good)
7. 28xbacon wrapped jalapeños for snacks :becky:

The plan is to cook with a full water pan, at 225 old school the entire cook, with the guru managing the fire. The meat will be smoked with hickory until the bark and temp look good the next day. Once the briskets are wrapped, I'll start the pork butt, and switch to apple wood, and finish the ribs with apple wood as well. The sausage and jalapeños don't care :) just cook them in the smoker.

I am going to load the smoker with 30lb of kbb charcoal, and see how it runs over 24hours and report back the group with fuel and water consumption.

I will also post the pr0n experience...can't wait to smell like a bbq pit!

Good luck, my best cooks have been with 45-50 lbs of meat in the smoker.

Having said that i am curious to see how it performs bringing that much meat and 8 gallons of water to temp.

I would be interested in seeing if Chris modified the water chamber to have a space between the top of the firebox and the bottom of the water chamber. In my current vertical cabinet smoker the water pan is not built in and uses the bottom rack to slide in and out. This leaves a little space so the bottom of the water pan isn't sitting on top of the firebox. I think this helps to be able to heat the water and helps regulate the temps, but it doesn't take all the effort of the firebox to do so. Just a thought.
Interested to see your cook.

My start is a little rough...

Major mistake and used the minion method to start it up. I am having a tough time bringing the temp down to where I want it at 225F. Having to choke the fire down. Not something I like to do.

I am staggering the cook to accommodate for the different meats, and only have the 17lb brisket in the smoker.

The temps with a full water pan easily shot up to 265F in little over an hour, i added boiling water to the pan to speed the temps up :)

I am guessing I am going to burn through a lot of charcoal because of this mistake...

My start is a little rough...

Major mistake and used the minion method to start it up. I am having a tough time bringing the temp down to where I want it at 225F. Having to choke the fire down. Not something I like to do.

I am staggering the cook to accommodate for the different meats, and only have the 17lb brisket in the smoker.

The temps with a full water pan easily shot up to 265F in little over an hour, i added boiling water to the pan to speed the temps up :)

I am guessing I am going to burn through a lot of charcoal because of this mistake...

Thats the trouble that i have starting off with a lot of water, especially with a Guru. It keeps stoking the fire to get to the set temp, by then the fire is to hot to maintain a low temp.

When the pit is at temp it takes very little fuel to maintain it.

I have had the best luck using lump in a snake configuration, if it starts to get away from me , i open the door and pull the hot coals back so it doesn't ignite the rest of the charcoal to fast.

Thats the trouble that i have starting off with a lot of water, especially with a Guru. It keeps stoking the fire to get to the set temp, by then the fire is to hot to maintain a low temp.

When the pit is at temp it takes very little fuel to maintain it.

I have had the best luck using lump in a snake configuration, if it starts to get away from me , i open the door and pull the hot coals back so it doesn't ignite the rest of the charcoal to fast.

Very good point. Ya, the fire was blazing. I thought I shut down the vents enough to slow the temps up before I was even close :)

I will definitely switch to the fuse method and find some fire bricks to manage the fire better.

My temps are back down, took an hour to calm down...feeling better for now....

Has anyone figured out the natural temp these smokers prefer to run at? I have several types and they all have a temp they like and fighting that is very frustrating. My cabinet likes 325-340 without water and I'm still working on its preferred temp with water but it looks like 250 - 260 right now. Once you figure out that temp don't fight it. It takes away a lot of stress.:-D

Has anyone figured out the natural temp these smokers prefer to run at? I have several types and they all have a temp they like and fighting that is very frustrating. My cabinet likes 325-340 without water and I'm still working on its preferred temp with water but it looks like 250 - 260 right now. Once you figure out that temp don't fight it. It takes away a lot of stress.:-D

You are right, but I am not used to cooking at higher temps. This was not the weekend to experiment either. I will do a practice run when I am not feeding 2 families :) I needed to cook in temperature range I am used to as a start but I'll try your suggestions and modify cook times for higher temps.

For the moment the smoker is back down to 225 and holding with a full pan of water and 3 briskets now.

You are right, but I am not used to cooking at higher temps. This was not the weekend to experiment either. I will do a practice run when I am not feeding 2 families :) I needed to cook in temperature range I am used to as a start but I'll try your suggestions and modify cook times for higher temps.

For the moment the smoker is back down to 225 and holding with a full pan of water and 3 briskets now.

I can understand your situation. I was just hoping with all of you that have one that somebody might have the answer. I know mine will get hot really fast if I start with a full chimney of lit coals. It also has to have a maze or the temp overshoots and I have to close all the intakes and open the cooker door to get the temps down. Opening the door with the intakes open just feeds too much oxygen to the fire and the temp just goes up even more. I'm still figuring it out and having a lot of fun.

What did you do to get it to come back to 225?

I essentially closed all the vents, opened the door to drop temps just for a few minutes, and essentially choked the fire, it took an hour for the temp to drop.

The smoke stack is now open 1/3 and the guru is open 1/3 to limit the air flow. Fire is burning clean and low. I am about to turn in for the evening and keep the maverick ready to wake me if things get weird overnight.

Back