Char-Griller mod

BruceKWHP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I am unable to search posts due to being a new member so this may have been discussed elsewhere....

I have a used Char-Griller with the side box for burning wood, does someone have a "mod" for a heat diffuser where the flames lick into the main "box" and overheat the far right side?

I can weld if that is required!

I just got this thing off craigs list and LOVE it! I got some Santa Maria Red Oak chunks to produce the smoke.

So far spare ribs, tri tip and chicken have been amazing!

The ability to finish a cigar before the food is done cooking is a plus too...
running out of beer before dinner is a negative....

Char-griller mods

Check out this tutorial at: deejayssmokepit.net

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the google box. It searches only at BBQ-Brethren. It's useful.

Do you still have the charcoal tray for the CG? Many people just flip that upside down, it seems to baffle heat evenly under the main cooking chamber's cooking grates. I don't have a SFB, so I haven't tried it for myself yet.

I have used a firebrick for a baffle on my Silver Smoker (see the firebrick thread). It prevents the flames from getting into the cook chamber, but allows the heat in at a more controlled method...

Down and dirty mod I use on my offset... Take a 1 LB coffee can and remove the bottom with a can-opener then cut it down the seam, flatten it out and place it in the smoke chamber next to the opening where the fire box is. (use a coffee can with a paper label not a printed variety. It's a quick, adjustable fix I did about a year ago and haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

I turned the charcoal tray upside down to make a baffle.
baffle.jpg

and use a flexible metal dryer vent hose to extend the internal smokestack down to the grate
int-extension.jpg

I just took a peek in there, and as I don't plan on using this as a grill I can do something using the coal tray to diffuse the heat, thanks!

Char griller modification

I turned the charcoal tray upside down to make a baffle.
baffle.jpg

and use a flexible metal dryer vent hose to extend the internal smokestack down to the grate
int-extension.jpg

WNKT,

Do you have a problem with even heat distribution by doing this??

I use the inverted charcoal tray as a baffle also. I put the SFB cooking grates across the bottom of the main chamber & set the inverted tray on them. With just a small gap at the SFB opening, I can balance temps to within 10 degrees from side to side. I can also create a hot zone by opening the gap to use to crisp chicken skin, bacon on ABTs, etc

I've had mine for 3 years now, and while I love the food quality, the bitch is a PITA. Warping metal grates, loose fitting lids, smoke leaks all over the place, more mods than you can shake a stick at, etc. I want one of these...

img_1388.jpg

WNKT,

Do you have a problem with even heat distribution by doing this??

I never did an exhaustive study on the heat from one side to the next...but its a LOT better than without the "mods".
I can hold heat in better, and get higher temps....I tried putting some firebricks in the cooker under the charcoal tray. I dont know if I didnt have enough ...or I wasnt paying enough attention but I didnt see much of a difference. :-D

I have a hard time getting my pro up to temp using the charcoal try. I wish I had the guts to cut it into sections.

That being said, thanks for this thread. A lot of links I hadn't seen before...

I have a hard time getting my pro up to temp using the charcoal try. I wish I had the guts to cut it into sections.

That being said, thanks for this thread. A lot of links I hadn't seen before...

If you want to burn sticks low-n-slow, that is EXACTLY what you want as you can burn a hotter fire for cleaner smoke and also keep a more substantial bed of coals. You get to tend the fire and leave the vent where it should be: OPEN.

I rarely pull the vent back at all and love that sweet blue smoke that is so difficult for small offsets. I sold my old sheet metal NB for this very reason.

Thanks,

I have been working on mine for a couple days now I will give this a try as well..:)

Back