MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
DA-Bucks
Got Wood.

Default Should I get the new BKK 10 minutes away or a used BGE 3.5 hrs away?

Here's my dilemma that I need to figure out pretty quick.

I found a Broil King Keg nearby at a store on clearance for $699. That would obviously still have its warranty...

or

I can travel to Indianapolis which is 3.5 hours away and pick up a used Large Big Green Egg that is 3 years old for $600 cash. No warranty which worries me some.

WWYD?
DA-Bucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

If it was me I would ask for detailed description and photos of the BGE. If all looks well get in the car and drive. Also does it come with any of the goodies. The large BGE with a nest, side tables and a plate setter is about $1100-$1200 here. Also you can deal with the guy the BKK is price fixed. Remember cash is King. let us know how you do.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

BKK... steel = no crying one day when it tips over and shatters. This comes from a guy who owned a Bubba Keg and tipped it over about three times wheeling it around.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
DA-Bucks
Got Wood.

Yea, I'm awaiting detailed pics of the BGE. It comes with the nest and side tables and that's about it (no plate setter, cover, etc). From the one pic, the top looks a little rusted, but it's hard to tell. I asked a bunch of questions and the guy responded from work saying there are no leaks, cracks, the gasket is in good condition, and the vent is good. I'm skeptical until I see the pics. I don't want to do a 3.5 hour trip and find out that it wasn't worthy. I'd be kicking myself all the way home.

I'm leaning BKK, but the allure of BGE is tempting me.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pit Barrel Cooker 269 free shipping. Lots of sales on chargriller Akorn 299
600$$ is a lot of money for an unknown. Get the two above mentioned grills and the Big Green Egg salt and pepper shakers off EBay. If your heart is set on a Green Egg. Save your money and buy new. Brand spanking I broke it in and know exactly what has been cooked in the porous ceramic AND the method used to start the fire.

What would I do was the question, right??

Last edited by 16Adams; 07-29-2013 at 04:29 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Gonna say BGE all day personally. But the drive sucks unless you can knock off the price a bit to compensate for gas.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

so milage - you said 3.5 hrs - so 7x60=420. 420/20=21 gallons. 21x4=.

Ok after food, drink, everything else, you will have $150ish invested in your quest for a discount. msrp (about) on a lbge is $850, which at least in my neck of the woods is $800 plus they usually throw in some gimmies (fire starters, ash tool, and bag of lump). $750 versus $800. Just buy it new. Which is what I did 2 days ago.

If you want to save pennies, wait till an eggfest.
---
Ok, perhaps rough numbers and not fair, but you have to ask yourself what you want, and what the warranty is worth to you. I valued it.

That said, now for the depressing part. I fully intend to make my own table, so I did not include a nest in the price. I am getting busy at work, so no clue when I will build that table - and until I do, I have an egg tied upright so it can not fall over, but can not be used either. I highly suspect that in the course of events, I will end up roughing out my table to get cooking, then finishing in a couple months. I mean really, I don't need a table top - just 4 boards to hold the egg in place. Shelving, that can wait too. Bet I can make a working skeleton so I can be cooking before November... Or I might just pick up a couple to 2x4's and make an egg crate for it.

Last edited by jcinadr; 07-29-2013 at 06:11 PM..
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

I have five eggs, one was purchased new. I was never worried about the warranty issue. So far I have replaced a firebox on the mini, and the large firebox is cracked, but its still cooking without issue. I also have a bubba keg, and I have to be honest, it cooks like the egg. Long term though, I am pretty sure my eggs will outlast my bubba keg.

The bubba keg is for traveling, the eggs don't move, so they don't fall over and break.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

I would personally go with the KEG..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Mrpotamus
Knows what a fatty is.

I'd have to agree with Adams. Get an Acorn and a PBC. Or build a UDS. Or get the Vision At Costco while it is on sale. A used Egg would scare me. They come with a lifetime warranty for a reason. And the Keg is nice, but $699 seems steep. Is it the 2000 or 4000 model? The 2000 is pretty stripped down.

At the end of the day, you can cook good cue on a lot of grills. No need to spend a bunch of money, especially if you are a beginner. Start slow, find what you like, and then invest.
Mrpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
DA-Bucks
Got Wood.

I picked up the BKK as I elected not to go 3.5 hours to see a kamado that may or may not work out. I felt 699. Was a good price as I haven't seen it that low for brand new anywhere. Yea I could've got a cheaper acorn and got an offset, but then my wife would've been all over me for my grills taking over our patio (have a weber genesis too).

Here's a pick of it (I think) trying to attack from an ipad)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.2 KB, 96 views)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Great score congrats..........
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
DA-Bucks
Got Wood.

And since I'm not patient I already seasoned it and cooked a bone in split chicken breast. I just lightly seasoned it and smoked it with the hickory I put in for the grill seasoning. just olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and a little rotisserie seasoning. I just wanted to see how it came out - not bad! I can't wait to try it again when I take more time to prepare a cook. The potatoes were just leftovers from the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.9 KB, 93 views)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
DA-Bucks
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus View Post
I'd have to agree with Adams. Get an Acorn and a PBC. Or build a UDS. Or get the Vision At Costco while it is on sale. A used Egg would scare me. They come with a lifetime warranty for a reason. And the Keg is nice, but $699 seems steep. Is it the 2000 or 4000 model? The 2000 is pretty stripped down.

At the end of the day, you can cook good cue on a lot of grills. No need to spend a bunch of money, especially if you are a beginner. Start slow, find what you like, and then invest.
It's the 4000 model. It goes for about 899 about everywhere I've looked. Pretty happy with my purchase at this point ;)

Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
DA-Bucks
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingdude555 View Post
I have five eggs, one was purchased new. I was never worried about the warranty issue. So far I have replaced a firebox on the mini, and the large firebox is cracked, but its still cooking without issue. I also have a bubba keg, and I have to be honest, it cooks like the egg. Long term though, I am pretty sure my eggs will outlast my bubba keg.

The bubba keg is for traveling, the eggs don't move, so they don't fall over and break.
I'm a buckeye season ticket holder and yea the trailer hitch thing was in the back of my mind (although not the primary driver)... I do tailgate quite a bit in the fall. We'll see how this does on the road lol.