MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John
Default Santa Maria BBQ Style

I'm becoming very fond of using my small Santa Maria style BBQ pit that I picked up from Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters many years ago, and I can turn out a decent steak and tri tip (OK, better than decent)

I've tried doing chicken halfs and quarters, but w/o the success. I've searched all over looking for different recipes and techniques with little results.

Is anybody aware of a cookbook or website out there that has assembled some recipes and guidelines on using this type of grill? I try to watch the Cooks when I go to SLO, but they are using much larger grills. It seems that it's easier to get a consistant fire than on a small one. They just throw on a few full logs when needed - if they flare, it's no big big deal because the grill is 2+ feet above the fire. If I build a big fire, it gets way too hot, so I end up with a small fire and the grill is much closer to the fire - I spend alot of time adjusting the grill height and playing with the fire. It's not a huge deal (heck, I'm more of a "Type A" whe it comes to Q'n anyway). When I get the fire just right - oh man! Just love the flavor. The sear/char and the way the fat tastes on Ribeyes Absolutely Fantastic. Other times I miss a bit and can't get it quite right. It's still good, but not what I think it should be.

Would be nice to come up with a few new recipes.......

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Assuming you are burning wood and not charcoal, two options come to mind. One it to keep a fire going in a kettle or burn barrel, and move coals to the cooker when you need more heat. The other, and this makes a lot more sense, keep some smaller splits handy, that you can add without as much flare up. That might help.

As for the chicken, my favorite grilled chicken is really just some oregano, thyme, kosher salt and black pepper, all added to a marinade of sliced lemons and olive oil. Let the chickens marinade for a couple of hours, then grill until done. Real simple.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Assuming you are burning wood and not charcoal, two options come to mind. One it to keep a fire going in a kettle or burn barrel, and move coals to the cooker when you need more heat. The other, and this makes a lot more sense, keep some smaller splits handy, that you can add without as much flare up. That might help.

As for the chicken, my favorite grilled chicken is really just some oregano, thyme, kosher salt and black pepper, all added to a marinade of sliced lemons and olive oil. Let the chickens marinade for a couple of hours, then grill until done. Real simple.
Nice suggestion! Like the squiggles instead of the blocks too!

Last edited by CharredApron; 04-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: spell like a 1st grader
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

bump
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

My pit is smaller as well.....I recommend putting an expanded metal fire grate near the top on some fire bricks, building a base of lump, then burning splits on top of that. There is no need to spend hours burning wood down to coals for a quick BBQ steak or two. I did a thread on last weeks cook that I will bump to the top so you can see my rig.
jonmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

It's the BBQ Loin Strips thread. Great views of my cooker on there.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

Photobucket is working now, so here's some pics of my small Santa Maria Pit with Argentine Asado cooking surface, and how I raised the pit fire with some expanded metal and firebricks:

Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmhenderson View Post
Photobucket is working now, so here's some pics of my small Santa Maria Pit with Argentine Asado cooking surface, and how I raised the pit fire with some expanded metal and firebricks:

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I'm going to do this weekend is artichokes on the SM grill, Hitching Post style. We will see how that goes. As far as new recipes go, SM style is known for simplicity. If you have never tried to cook pork ribs and are into type A grill fiddling/adjusting, that will be an enjoyable afternoon for you! :-)

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use small splits of wood and create a bed of coals which take me about 45 minutes. During that time, I have on the grill 2 foil wrapped bricks that are soaking up the heat. Put the chicken on and put a brick on top. Kinda like an oven. Sometimes I put the lid from a smoky joe or other small grill on top for an oven effect.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->