MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
unixadm
Take a breath!

Default Rib cook in progress on the Assassin

I'm cooking two racks of baby backs because they were on-sale cheap. One had two fused rib bones, so I cut those two bones out. :)

Seasoned the split rack with Big Poppa's Sweet Money and the other with SM Sweet Seduction after trimming excess fat, rinsing and rubbing down with a coat of yellow mustard. I added a little extra turbinado sugar to both because I like the ribs to have a sweet profile.

Today was a fun day because I wrapped up getting my Stoker WIFI into a protective case:

I then built my new stainless prep table I order from Amazon for the patio. The height is perfect for me - not sure why I didn't buy one years ago! I also decided to try out the new Bose Mini BT speaker my parents gave me yesterday for a late Christmas gift while prepping the ribs. A little Pandora goes a long way. Truly impressive sound from such a small speaker and I don't normally drink the Bose Kool-aid:

Smoking today with some fresh peach and post oak from Fruita Wood:

Ribs are on. Using the bottom rack to get the most amount of heat into the ribs with the lowest set point:

Stoker WIFI is running the show at 250 degrees:

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to foil wrap them or not.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice set up there and the ribs look killer too

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like your setup. I'm gonna check out them tables.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Looking good so far.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I like your setup. I'm gonna check out them tables.
LINK TO TABLE @ AMAZON

I provided you a link above to the exact table I bought from Amazon. Use a dead blow or rubber mallet to install the legs into the top and the shelf onto the leg retainers. It will then be nice and solid.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good. Nice setup.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nice.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice = please let us know how your stoker works out and if you decided to wrap or not and why.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Firefighter
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like that stoker is a pretty sweet add to the Assassin. How do you like it?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin good man!

I vote for not wapping ;)

Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
unixadm
Take a breath!

Hey guys. I'm not wrapping the ribs and they are just about done. I sauced/glazed them with some Rufus Teague Touch O’ Heat mixed with a little apple juice.

As for the Stoker, it works great. It can aggressively get the cooker up to temperature and the damper in the fan really prevents overshooting temps very much. The base Stoker interface is really basic, setup is tricky and if you want something easier to run, go with the CyberQ. However I firmly believe that the performance and capabilities of this unit make it a better controller. I use Stoker-Web which runs on a Linux virtual server I have (same one hosting my pictures). It connects to the Stoker and provides the fancier and easier to use UI. There's also an Android app for Stoker-Web which I use to monitor and alert on my phone/tablets. Happy to help anyone get things going if necessary.

I added a tribute to the Assassin 28 today in the form of my very close uncle's name who passed away just before Christmas. I bought the Assassin 28 to cheer myself up and I have not named it "Clyde" in memory of him. A few minutes on the computer and I had this:

Ribs about three hours in...

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
unixadm
Take a breath!

All done:

Cooked perfectly - tender, moist but not quite fall off the bone. I preferred the Sweet Seduction ribs.

Smokiness was light but I expected that with the peach wood.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Those look awesome!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

On the smoker set-up AND the ribs; I'll take two, please! Nice all the way around!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Well done, Ill post my cook shortly.

Tags
assassin, smoker, Stoker, wifi