MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #9496
N2entropy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesebob View Post
I'd like to know what the heck Norco was doing to get rid of that much swisslube.....or do I?

We use it in manufacturing the worlds biggest dump truck at LIEBHERR.
I'm building my first UDS using these drums as well this weekend!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #9497
KSims1868
Full Fledged Farker

How long are y'all getting out of your barrels?
I've been noticing that my barrel is about to need replacing soon. I think I biult this thing a little over 2 years ago. It stays in the garage, but have to admit...it's taken a few heavy rain showers unfortunately when I was too "tired" to drag it back in the garage.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #9498
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Will I be ok with 3/4" x 2.5" nipple vs the 1"? My lowes was out and I didnt want to drive across town to the other tonight. I guess I can go back out this weekend but wondering if an extra 1.5" will hurt anything.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #9499
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Thanks coewar :)

I've managed to find an old washing machine tub on ebay which I now have in my back yard. Looks like it has the potential to be a great charcoal basket. The only thing though that I think may not be good are the 3 big ridges inside. They stick up about 1.5"-2". Will this affect the burn of the coals or will it be ok? I've added a photo to show you what I mean

washing tub.jpg

Its also a lot wider than I imagined it to be. I know people have used them before but I can't help thinking that there will be too much surface area and therefore it will require a hell of a lot of charcoal. The total diameter is 19". Also, how much charcoal would you put into this for a decent burn?

Sorry, that is a lot of questions but I'm so close to finishing I can almost taste those ribs and brisket already

Mike
gravityguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #9500
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityguy View Post
Thanks coewar :)

I've managed to find an old washing machine tub on ebay which I now have in my back yard. Looks like it has the potential to be a great charcoal basket. The only thing though that I think may not be good are the 3 big ridges inside. They stick up about 1.5"-2". Will this affect the burn of the coals or will it be ok? I've added a photo to show you what I mean

Attachment 65222

Its also a lot wider than I imagined it to be. I know people have used them before but I can't help thinking that there will be too much surface area and therefore it will require a hell of a lot of charcoal. The total diameter is 19". Also, how much charcoal would you put into this for a decent burn?

Sorry, that is a lot of questions but I'm so close to finishing I can almost taste those ribs and brisket already

Mike
The tiny holes will keep the ashes from falling out and will reduce the air, putting the fire out.

I have a basket that is 17" dia. x 12 deep. It will hold 20# plus chunks of wood. It will last over 20 hours easy. It heavy to lif and set in place. I have to watch out for my 2" thermometer probes when I set it in.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #9501
gravityguy
Found some matches.

Thanks for the reply Pappy. I'm going to drill some of the holes a little larger to help with the airflow and also to help the ash fall through the bottom. I do think the diameter may be a problem though once the thermometer is in there.

I'm still not sure about the ridges on the bottom though as I won't be able to drill any holes through those.
gravityguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #9502
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

was looking around on the internet and came across this website for used stainless drums. prices seem pretty reasonable. no association yada yada yada....

http://www.usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com/Home_Page.html

Old 05-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #9503
GlobalTJB
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
Weber has stainless grates for the 22.5" kettle grills (part #3070784) They are a bit pricey but they're great (no pun intended)

http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1117
I made 2 grates out of a sheet of the same expanded metal used for the basket. Probably cost me 16 total for the two and after 2 smokes they are nice and seasoned.

If you want those grates in the link, WEber.com has free shipping through the end of the month using MAYBBQ2012 at checkout.
GlobalTJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #9504
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSims1868 View Post
How long are y'all getting out of your barrels?
I've been noticing that my barrel is about to need replacing soon. I think I biult this thing a little over 2 years ago. It stays in the garage, but have to admit...it's taken a few heavy rain showers unfortunately when I was too "tired" to drag it back in the garage.
My uds is about 20 months old and sits outside on my front porch. I have a cheap "wally world" cover on it, and it shows no sign of rusting out. I don't let the ashes stay in it more than a couple of days after a smoke.

When I seasoned it, I used a good coating of Pam spray on it. It has a good coating built up on it and I don't think it would rust. I have never cleaned it out as it doesn't seem to need it. I occasionally spray the pipe nipples to keep them from rusting up.

Most moisture seems to gather in the briquets so the drum stays dry all the time and none seems to puddle up as some people have mentioned. I do save the un-burned coal for the next smoke.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #9505
Phlytyer
Found some matches.

Test

Admin, pls delete this post. My bad via Tapatalk

Last edited by Phlytyer; 05-27-2012 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Request deletion
Phlytyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #9506
jlafrenz
Got rid of the matchlight.

I see a lot of discussion on thermometer placement for height, but not where in relation to the intakes. I am building a UDS with 3 intakes. Is is best to install the thermo directly over one of the intakes so that the other 2 intakes are evenly spaced from it or between 2 intakes so an open intake is directly across from it? I plan on having the exit chimney above the thermo or possibly directly across from which ever intake I have open. I would be interested to hear any thoughts.
jlafrenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #9507
Mettle Man
Found some matches.

i was reading some past posts about new ways to use a 55-gallon drum to get the best smoke/heat draw, and then i saw a post regarding la caja china hog roaster. the question was how to get smoke into this indirect-heat-only method of cooking. so i came up with a design. i would love to hear what folks think. would this work?

Old 05-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #9508
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettle Man View Post
i was reading some past posts about new ways to use a 55-gallon drum to get the best smoke/heat draw, and then i saw a post regarding la caja china hog roaster. the question was how to get smoke into this indirect-heat-only method of cooking. so i came up with a design. i would love to hear what folks think. would this work?
Thats an awesome design. I believe it'd work good.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #9509
Mettle Man
Found some matches.

Default new smoker

thanks... now to actually make it...

Old 05-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #9510
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettle Man View Post
I'd love to see this in it own tread as a build.

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker