• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Rib Smoke tips

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt my first rib smoke in the OTG this weekend. I have a rub recipe I'm gonna try and was planning to use the 3-2-1 method. I'm wanting to keep it simple so I was planning to get a rack of spares and NOT trim them up St. Louis style. Is there anything wrong with basically just pulling them out of the wrap, putting the rub on and smoking them? I know a lot of people trim them and use the trimmed meat to grind but again I'd like to keep it simple as possible for my first....Any other tips are always welcome. :wacko:.

IMO, if you're doing spares, you have to cut the flap and pull the membrane off at the very least. I trim them because it is really not that much longer of a prep time. The tips are different as far as meat quality. Not the greatest to serve.

OK I will trim the flap and pull the membrane. I guess I may see how that goes and possibly do the rest. Normally the commissary here has some packages already trimmed and they leave the trimmings in all at the same price. Unfortunately, they didn't have any this time (my luck) just un-trimmed spares.
Can you smoke the flap and trimmed pieces? Seems like I read somewhere you could.......

You have the right approach K.I.S.S. but I personally would skip the foil and cook at 275 deg a full rack of Spares will finish( pass the bend test in 4-4.5 hrs) Maybe just use a simple rub
Smoked Flap meat makes great breakfast tacos.
Blu's Pork Rub for the BBQ Challenged

1 4 oz bottle Sweet Paprika
1/2 a 4oz bottle Sugar( what ever kind you have)
1/2 a 4 oz bottle of Kosher salt
1 Teasp celery salt
1 Teasp Granulated onion
1 Teasp Granulated garlic
1 Table sp Mrs Dash Lemon pepper
1/2 tsp (or to taste) Cayenne pepper
1 Teasp Ginger

Thanks Bludawg. The rub I'm using is very similar.
Also, are you saying not to trim the flap or go ahead and trim it but smoke it as well?

I trim them St. Louis but keep the tips intact as one strip. Prep them the same way as the ribs with rub etc. I don't even watch them while the STL's are smoking. Pull them off at the same time ribs are done and Wife trims the meat off for saving or to use. We added some to baked beans the other night. Fantastic! Don't let that good meat go to waste.

Thanks Toast, By the way, I grew up in Shreveport. Went to Woodlawn HS (class of 88 ). Air Force took me to Oklahoma.

Thanks Toast, By the way, I grew up in Shreveport. Went to Woodlawn HS (class of 88 ). Air Force took me to Oklahoma.

Very Cool! Fair Park 74 here. Boy did we use to chase those Woodlawn girls around :razz:. My wife works with a Lady that used to do Terry Bradshaw's homework for him. :tongue:

I really like rib tips, just gotta try and keep the thin part from turning into jerky. It's something best eaten with friends or people you're familiar with, there's just something primal about sitting there gnawing on the cartilage and scraping with your teeth. In other words, not really for people who eat fried chicken with a knife and fork.

skip the foil and cook at 275 deg a full rack of Spares will finish( pass the bend test in 4-4.5 hrs)

I had really good luck with this my first set of ribs on my OTG...

Best of luck...

So if I skip the foil, cook at 275 would I use water in the OTG? I was thinking of banking about 40 unlit coals mixing in some apple wood with 8 or 9 lit coals on top. Then putting a 10" cast iron skillet filled with hot water on the other side. Place ribs on top rack above the cast iron skillet. Am I on the right path?

I think I read that method from landarc here in the forums.

Those looked great dadsr4! No water pan?
No, I only make sure what temp the kettle is running at for timing, the rest is just waiting. For me, a water pan is only required if you have trouble maintaining temp. I'm lucky, I only have daisy wheel kettles, not a problem. The only variation I make is what ever rub tickles my fancy that day. Salt and pepper, every thing else is up for grabs.

Back