MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Membranes already removed...

Anyone in the meat biz know how sometimes I get three racks of ribs with the membranes already completely removed and sometimes I get racks from the same source with all three membranes intact?

Inquiring minds want to know!

It takes me a good extra 30 seconds of making damn sure the membrane is really removed, and sometimes a rib or two suffering from having the connective tissue yanked partially off of it.

I'm sure I'm being a newb by doing this, but it is kinda weird how that seems to be hit or miss from the same store.

Is it a mechanical process that sometimes grabs it and sometimes doesn't?

That's my one and only deep thought for the day.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I have never gotten any with the membrane already removed.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Did you get them at Costco?
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Yup. These came from Costco. I also noticed they now have already St. Louis styled spares, which I will definitely be buying in the future.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
hmbrewr
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought a 3 pak of St. Louis style from Cash and Carry, and two of the racks had the membrane removed and one did not. That was the first time I have ever bought ribs from Cash & Carry or any where else for that matter that had the membrane removed. I removed the membrane from the 1st rack and I kept trying to remove the non existent membrane from the others when I realized that they had been removed. I thought I was going nuts as I had never seen anything like this before.
hmbrewr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Ive also run into this a time or two, inquiring minds would like to know why?

Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I have seen it once or twice, but I don't think from the same source.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

According to other posts, at Costco the butchers will repackage ribs if they are open. When they do this, they'll clean them up and remove the membrane and repackage.
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've seen it too..
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
According to other posts, at Costco the butchers will repackage ribs if they are open. When they do this, they'll clean them up and remove the membrane and repackage.
I hear ya on the theory, but this has happened several times with cryovac packages so I still wonder if that is the source.

Does anyone who worked in a major meat packing/hog processing plant know if there is any mechanized process that could theoretically grab the membrane as it goes through processing?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

I have butchered thousands of pigs.It could be the repackaging theroy.There is no mechanized process to peel the plura(membrane).When we did it if the lungs were attached to the rib cage the inspector made us peel it.Normally the lungs are not attached to the ribs so it wasn't very often that we had to peel.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

The Costco ribs come from Swift. I have found that they generally do not have the membrane. I get ribs from Sam's and they are processed by IBP and they do have a membrane. If you get one with a membrane from Costco, it may have gotten passed over by the workers at the plant.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Yep. Got 2 Cryovac packaged 3-packs of Baby Backs at Costco in Phoenix a while back and all 6 had the membrane removed.