Rib question

chilidog

Full Fledged Farker
I put a rack of baby back ribs in the Weber kettle yesterday. Mostly around 350 degrees. One and a half hours smoking and cooking, one hour in the foil with a half a beer. Then out of the foil for about thirty minutes coating with Bbq sauce every ten minutes. It looked great, bones exposed from a quarter inch to a half inch like I always do. It turned out to be the driest rack of ribs I ever cooked. Is there such a thing as a bad rack of ribs?

Indirect or direct? I always hover between 275-310 and never have dry ribs, but I always use my deflector. The first rack I ever did on my Big Joe I did direct and they were very dry.

I'm not sure why but I'm suspicious of the beer.

This is my thought as well. Whether he steamed them in a foil wrapped pan or he braised them in a tight foil pouch, I suspect the liquid was the culprit. When I decide to wrap, which isn't every time, I put a very small amount of liquid in the wrap if they look dry. If they don't, I may add just a little extra rub and something like Tiger Sauce very sparingly. The ribs will continue to render and release their own moisture if you are wrapping tightly (which you should) and they'll essentially braise in their own juices. So adding liquid really isn't a necessity. Either way, half a can of beer sounds excessive.

This is my thought as well. Whether he steamed them in a foil wrapped pan or he braised them in a tight foil pouch, I suspect the liquid was the culprit. When I decide to wrap, which isn't every time, I put a very small amount of liquid in the wrap if they look dry. If they don't, I may add just a little extra rub and something like Tiger Sauce very sparingly. The ribs will continue to render and release their own moisture if you are wrapping tightly (which you should) and they'll essentially braise in their own juices. So adding liquid really isn't a necessity. Either way, half a can of beer sounds excessive.
When I wrap ribs I usually put about an ounce (shot glass)of apple juice in the pouch. I know alcohol evaporates and I'm wondering if a half beer could have pulled moisture out of the ribs as they cooked.

I'm going to say there is such a thing as a bad rack.

A couple weeks ago, my brother called and said Meijer had the so called "back ribs, buy one get one free. My wife picked out four really nice looking meaty racks. I told her I didn't think she could have done a better job picking them out.

I went about making them like I always do, cooking at 250-275 degrees on my over and under. Wrapped two when color looked good, a little over two hours in. The other two I left unwrapped and spritzed every hour because my family likes both.

Checked the wrapped ones after 45 minutes and had some bone pull back but they weren't as close to the bend and toothpick test as they usually are at this point but I unwrapped them anyway because I didn't want to braise them.

After five hours total cook time, none of the racks were close to passing the bend, toothpick and bone twist tests. I finally pulled them after 6 1/2 hours because they were getting way too dark. None of the tests got any better.

They were all stiff as a board, kind of dry and wouldn't let go of the bone for nothing.

Never before had a rib cook go this way. I always have to watch and make sure I don't over cook them into fall off the bone mush.

My brother stopped over a few days later and asked how the ribs turned out. He wouldn't say a word about his until I told him about how mine were.

He then said his turned out pretty much the same way cooking them on his gasser.

I'll never buy " on sale " ribs again.

Every now and then, I'll turbo a rack of ribs at 350 - no flip, no wrap. They go for about 2 hours to done - not chewy, not "fall off the bone" overdone...just done right.

At 1.5 hours at 350 and then wrapped for an hour, they should have been pure mush.

What are you using to gauge temperature?

Every now and then, I'll turbo a rack of ribs at 350 - no flip, no wrap. They go for about 2 hours to done - not chewy, not "fall off the bone" overdone...just done right.

At 1.5 hours at 350 and then wrapped for an hour, they should have been pure mush.

What are you using to gauge temperature?
I had the same thought. 3.5 hours at 350 might be too long. Direct would be done in 90 minutes, indirect 2-2.5 hours. Never tried beer in foil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I cooked indirect at 350. That’s a little more than I usually cook. I have used the half beer before(Gennis stout) with great results. Can’t believe it was undercooked because there was no fat left. Was dry and chewy.

Used a thermoworks grate probe with a dot. Know the temp was 350. Probably over cooked? This is the same way I have been doing it except I usually run the temp 300-325. Maybe overdone.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem might be cooking too hot and fast. I've always had my best luck at 275 or lower. But, there are many ways and I'm not professing to be an expert. There are no bad ribs if they're within arm's reach.

I did 2 slabs of beef ribs and 1 slab of baby backs over the weekend. Both were done in about 3½ hours with a water pan. The temp ranged between 266 and 280. Before the BB's were wrapped, they were stiff as a board. After about 45 minutes in foil the had a nice bend and looked good to me. (I do the bend test with my hand. I get a better feel of them that way). The temps on all three were coming in as done. But yeah. Time to cook always amazes me. The beef ribs were really lean so that didn't surprise me much but I was expecting about a 5 hour cook in total for all 3 racks. Wrong! They were good though. I used a rib rack for the first time ever. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I'm new to the rib rack world.

Back