Cooking Money Muscle Separately

kevinc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I usually cook bone-in butts whole at 225-250 for about 12 hours.

Recently, I've seen people cooking the money muscle separately and I thought that I would like to try it.

Does it cook at the same rate as the whole butt or would it need to come off sooner?

Any tips on cooking it separately? Is it worth it to do so?

sooner it's much smaller the only reason would probably be to get a smoke ring and bark all the way around it usually comp only tho

If you are doing this at home, go for it, but if you are thinking about it at a KCBS competition it is against the rules for this year. That is changing for next year, so far :-D

:rolleyes:
If you are doing this at home, go for it, but if you are thinking about it at a KCBS competition it is against the rules for this year. That is changing for next year, so far :-D

Yup, this is at home.

How long would it normally take? I usually do overnight cooks so if it needs to be pulled off at 3am, I'd rather sleep in :icon_smile_tongue:

Since i really only care about the MM at comps, I've never cooked one separately. It's a small pice of meat, so I can't imagine it taking too long. You may even be able to put it on when you wake up in the morning.

I had no idea they were changing the rule on that. How come?

I know a way to cook it while it get smoke all around it and bark all the way around it and still do KCBS

thanks Ron. This was helpful. I actually missed or forgot about these.

Good to know.

IMHO the only reason to cook that front muscle seperate is to be able to slice it which would be around the 198 degree mark (give or take). Once you pass the 198 degree mark it is harder to slice. If you were just going to pull it like the rest of the butt just trim out around the muscle to be able to get rub on it to make bark.

My thought on this is not have to keep up with different cuts and cook it all at the same time.

IMHO the only reason to cook that front muscle seperate is to be able to slice it which would be around the 198 degree mark (give or take). Once you pass the 198 degree mark it is harder to slice. If you were just going to pull it like the rest of the butt just trim out around the muscle to be able to get rub on it to make bark.

If your not a competition, at about 180-185, cut the money muscle off and let it rest, the cook the rest of the butt to your desired pulling temperature.

To answer the other part of the OP's question, it cooks much faster.

Last edited:
So do I :-D

Don't they (competitors) just butcher it to the point it is only hanging on by a little muscle thus the reason for changing the rule anyways? This is just a guess. I have only done amateur competitions at this point.

Back