MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ceramic n00b; Struggles

Ok, i'll admit it, i need some help.

Coming from a stick burner, I've been enjoying the ease, the simplicity of smoking on my new Kamado. 1 problem, I can't get enough smoke.

So i bit the bullet and went for some advice at the BBQ joint i got it from, their help was great and it worked well.

*fill my fire basket with lump.
*use my luftlighter to ignite 3 areas
*bring smoker up to temp and dial it it.
*place a wood chunk on top of each lit location
*drop in the food, and close the lid.

Smoke flowed, temp maintained, but only got about 1½ hours of smoke. Some of it heavy at the onset. My chunks, cut from oak splits, the size of my fist.

So my babybacks came out moist, cooked, and successful, but only about ½ as smokey as i think i'd otherwise prefer.

Maybe i've been over smoking in the past? Clearly i'm over thinking something.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

Try mixing some smaller chunks of wood in with your charcoal. Works for me on the Egg.
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by isolated01 View Post
Try mixing some smaller chunks of wood in with your charcoal. Works for me on the Egg.
do you find at times your smoker is really chugging a heavy smoke from to much wood burning at one time?
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe

Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

No, I don't seem to have that problem.
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have a ceramic smoker, so take my comments accordingly...

But could the problem be that all your smoke wood is on top? Would it make sense to put a little of your smoke wood buried in with the charcoal so it is later in the burn when it gets to that wood?
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Ceramics burn cleanly so don't have much visible smoke and a lighter flavor that a stick burner. As mentioned, mixing smaller chunks or chips in with the lump will help since they will burn as the fire reaches them instead of all at once.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

going to have to reformulate my plan.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe

Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Like Ron said, ceramics just don't put out as much smoke. The rest of my family much prefers the results. I prefer the results on the offset. You could keep adding more and more wood, or you can just cook a lot of chicken to get your smoke addiction satisfied.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
cahuck
Found some matches.

i've used an egg for a few years now and find i need to be careful positioning my wood chunks so I dont get too much smoke for my taste. Play with differet types of wood and durations of soaking before use as well as placement in the coals. Sounds to me like your wood is burning up fast so I suspect it's dry and placed right in the burning coals. Try using a few more soaked chunks further out
cahuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I use a KJ and a stickburner for most of my smoking (got my KJ at the same place you got your Saffire I presume) and I have been where you are with smoke flavor. Bottom line is they will be different levels of smoke flavor, but I have found a method that works well for me.

I put large chunks of lump in the bottom, then mix some hickory chips and small chunks (usually apple) on top of that. Then add more lump to cover, then some more chips and small chunks, then finish off with more lump to cover. Start in two spots with my Looft and place the deflector in and let the cooker come up to temp and let the smoke clean up. Sometimes it can take 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the smoke to clean up, but the smell is amazing once it is clean and the food gets a real nice smoke flavor. Different from my offset, but still very satisfying.

Hope this helps.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Because the fire grate is in the middle, Kamados tend to "burn down" in the center. Starting the lump in different places around the edge will delay this but you can take advantage of it by placing multiple chunks of smoking wood (one above another) in the center. Do it as you pour in the lump. Lump, wood chunk, more lump, wood chunk, more lump (actually good if the chunks touch)... That way, at least one chunk will always be burning. Saw a diagram of this on the BGE forum.

Because there is much less airflow (and therefore smoke flow) through a Kamado than most any other type of cooker it's a bit harder to achieve the lame level of smokiness. Can be done, though.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote