MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Bigo181979
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Wireless thermometer for smoke chamber, suggestions???

I am looking for a wireless thermometer to use in my smoker so I can monitor the temps in the smoke chamber while I am inside the house. All the wireless ones I keep coming across seem to be wireless meat thermometers not a thermometer for the chamber temperature... Anyone have a suggestion/recommendation for what I am looking for?
Bigo181979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Maverick et-732 has two probes: one for the meat and one for the cooking chamber.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
fil
Full Fledged Farker

Cut a potato in half and stick the probe all of the way through it and your meat thermometer will then tell you the temp of the smoke chamber.

fil

"Primitive summertime rite at which spirits are present, hunks of meat are sacrificed by being burnt on braziers by sauce-smeared men wearing old hats and aprons with cabalistic slogans, and human flesh is offered to insects." --Henry Beard
fil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
Maverick et-732 has two probes: one for the meat and one for the cooking chamber.
Any truth to the quality control rumors? Looks like a great thermometer but I'm worried about some of the reviews I've read.
C J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Bigo181979

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
I was wondering about those 2 probe units, if I could just leave one exposed and still get an acurate temp reading or not.

Guess I will have to get one ordered this week and give it a go...

I just got my first smoker sunday so I am pretty excited lol.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

I love my Maverick ET-732! Haven't had a single problem yet in the 6 months I've been using it, which is almost every weekend.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
C J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwendholt View Post
I love my Maverick ET-732! Haven't had a single problem yet in the 6 months I've been using it, which is almost every weekend.
Sounds like the perfect thermometer, but I'm really concerned over how many negative reviews I've read on it. Bad probes, mainly. Otherwise, I would have pulled the trigger already.
C J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
Sounds like the perfect thermometer, but I'm really concerned over how many negative reviews I've read on it. Bad probes, mainly. Otherwise, I would have pulled the trigger already.
The probes on them are sturdy, but you still have to not beat them up. Don't pull the probes by the wires, dont kink the wires, and dont wash wash the probes by immersing them in water or just putting them under running water. Wash them with alcohol pads or with a sponge around the probe and dry immediately.

I have had my ET-732 for almost 6 months. I use it 2-4times a week. I havent had problems with any of the probes (I bought 2 of the 6ft hybrid probes from bbqequipmentstore.com) other than the food grate prob which my roommate had washed and fully immersed it in water.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Bigo181979

So is the Maverick ET-732 the only one out there that does what I am looking for? I am exreamly surprised if it is....

Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
BobM
Babbling Farker

Related thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149307
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Guamaque
On the road to being a farker

Just my own personal experience. My Maverick 732 broke in 2 months. It's in the trash. Not debating others success, but that is my story. Thermaworks makes some good looking ones. Check the website.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

This question seems to be asked every other week. I personally do not have a maverick, but seems to be very popular around here with ALOT of positives. I have an igrill, works great, just a fun gadget that works on my phone, iPad and iPod. And it works well.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote