MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

My wife has an envoy. gets about 16 it seems. rated for 5k towing I believe? I probably wouldnt mind pulling something 20 miles with it. a pop up camper is about as high as I would go with one tho
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
eggzlot
Take a breath!

Randomly my BBQ teammate and I both have Enovys:

1) with pulling you a trailer you will not get 20 mpg - 15-16 on average of the course of 4 years driving it around

2) my teammate pulls his Lang 84 deluxe with his Enovy - he has done 2-3 hour trips with it and says it handles just fine.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
Randomly my BBQ teammate and I both have Enovys:

1) with pulling you a trailer you will not get 20 mpg - 15-16 on average of the course of 4 years driving it around

2) my teammate pulls his Lang 84 deluxe with his Enovy - he has done 2-3 hour trips with it and says it handles just fine.
Granted - the smooth tank exterior is more aerodynamic than pulling an 5X8 enclosed trailer (30 square food windblock).

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

I pull a 5x10 Enlosed trailer with my 2000 Silverado 1500 every weekend to DJ gigs.. it gets abt 12-14 MPG while towing.. about 18-20 when not.. Pull my grill with it whenever i move it.. never had any problems out of it.. had it since i was in High School
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Hmm... I need something better than just a couple mpg improvement. I really don't tow much at all, mainly just moving it around the place a bit. The 5x10 trailer I use to haul my garbage about 2 miles to the barn dumpster since I don't have a pickup anymore.
My 07 Silverado worked great.. I was just paying too much for it at the time :(

I agree and understand everyone's opinion on the diesels, it's the way to go if you can afford it. I'm kind of in a situation where I need the fuel economy of a 4 cyl car, the functionality of a truck, the dependability of something newer, and the payments of a 15 year old vehicle.

I really need to find either a rich uncle, a sugar momma, or win the lottery. LOL

Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
happycamper
Got Wood.

Gawd, I will probably get totally laughed at for this suggestion but here it goes:
Toyota Sienna minivan
If you get the correct year (2007?) it will come with the 3.5 liter V6 AND the engine oil cooler. Which means it will be rated at 3500 lbs towing. It also will have the same drivetrain as the Highlander.
Can be bought cheap used. Gets close to 25 mpg when it isn't towing. Also available as AWD if needed.
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
Gawd, I will probably get totally laughed at for this suggestion but here it goes:
Toyota Sienna minivan
If you get the correct year (2007?) it will come with the 3.5 liter V6 AND the engine oil cooler. Which means it will be rated at 3500 lbs towing. It also will have the same drivetrain as the Highlander.
Can be bought cheap used. Gets close to 25 mpg when it isn't towing. Also available as AWD if needed.

Uhh.. yeah.. thanks for the info, but I'm a single guy.. I don't need any help scaring the ladies off. LMAO
What about the Highlander, good mileage?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
happycamper
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tex View Post
Uhh.. yeah.. thanks for the info, but I'm a single guy.. I don't need any help scaring the ladies off. LMAO
What about the Highlander, good mileage?
Totally wrong... Nothing says I am ready for a long-term committed relationship (with kids) like a single guy with a minivan! You will have random women showing up at your doorstep, especially ones with ticking biological clocks.
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Ha! Their biological clocks can keep on ticking! I've got one kiddo and that's plenty!
If I say much more.. this thread might get moved to the WoodPile.

Seriously, Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #25
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hey Tex what's your budget/how much do you want your payments to be. That's the first question I ask anyone. We talking $5-$10,000, $10-$15,000? Knowing that usually helps narrow down the list. Also, if you buy a truck, does it have to be a 4 door with full size rear seats like the double cab Tacoma?

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Hey Tex what's your budget/how much do you want your payments to be. That's the first question I ask anyone. We talking $5-$10,000, $10-$15,000? Knowing that usually helps narrow down the list. Also, if you buy a truck, does it have to be a 4 door with full size rear seats like the double cab Tacoma?
I need my payments to be about $250 or below.. and yes, if I get a truck a full back seat would nice, since I take 800 mile road trips to see family, and my 9 year old is in the back seat, would like for her to have some comfort.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Question about a new tow rig

Well I bit the bullet and bought a 2008 Equinox LTZ. Its got the 3.4 and a hitch. Rated at 3500lbs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on the new ride man, I'm sure y'all will like that. It'll be nice to have a covered area in the back with the hatch instead of a truck bed that's open. I bet it'll get good mileage too! Chevy's are good vehicles, my friends wife loves her Equinox.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an 01 Dodge Dakota 4 door 4.7 liter V8. I consistently get 19 on the highway and can tow a nice load. I usually get 13 or 14 with an 18 foot boat. Maybe you could find something like it, or find a Durango with the 4.7.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Crazy Tex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Belt View Post
I have an 01 Dodge Dakota 4 door 4.7 liter V8. I consistently get 19 on the highway and can tow a nice load. I usually get 13 or 14 with an 18 foot boat. Maybe you could find something like it, or find a Durango with the 4.7.
I will never own a Durango, or probably a Dodge product again. I had WAY too many problems with it. If I was going to get something with a smaller V8, I would have been looking at trucks like I used to have.
So far, I've averaged about 22-23 mpg with this one.
This weekend, I'll hook the cooker to it just to see how it does.