MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

I'm cool.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #17
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

As usual.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbeagle View Post
I would be interested in how you bake large quantities of beans. Such as 2 to 5 gallons.

I am researching opening a roadside BBQ stand. Seems that the HD requirements are not to difficult here in MS. I begin with something simple like Pork Sammies and potato chips.

I would like to also serve baked beans so that brings me to the question how do you cook them efficiently?

Thanks
Blake
How are you going to cook them, Blake? if you are going to put hem in the smoker why now use catering pans? You could use disposable ones, but I would double them up for strength. That way you can just serve right out of them

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

You heard it from the Poohbah. If you want to keep it up, take your chances. I have the keys when he turns his back, and I'm in no mood for BS this weekend. Just make that post memorable, because it's liable to be last you have for a while should you make the choice to continue on.

Phil is the 'good cop' but can get really pissed off at times. I'm the 'bad cop', and I'm always pissed off .....and this week isn't nearly as good as most.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Back to the question at hand and wanting also to know cooking for large groups....would you say 2 gallons of beans would fill a full sheet alum pan and how many would that feed if served with sandwiches and chips?????
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #21
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

For my catered events I will do it from scratch but vending on a daily basis I use bushes best and doctor them up but I also smoke them under butts and briskets for 6hrs. They come out great.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #22
Divemaster

I to make them both from scratch and from cans.

Can version includes onions, garlic and often (if I like the customer and I have them) the skirts from my spare ribs, if idon't have the skirts, it's bacon ends.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #23
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

oh the bacon that i use has been cured and smoked by myself. i cure and apple wood smoke pork bellies for bacon at work all the time. if you know about pork bellies there is the part that just doesn't lay really flat for serving. well thats the part that goes into the beans.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

When we cook for a catered event, we make them up in full pans (disposable, doubled up) and cook them on the smoker. Then we serve right from the pans. I dont see why that would not work for vending as well... If you have cooling storage you could make them the day before and re-heat the day of serving...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

I always make my own beans for catering. Sets me apart from the chain BBQ joints around here. YMMV on that. I use the large foil pans I get from Sam's I figure about a gallon of beans go in one pan. I figure one gallon to make about 50 servings give or take.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #26
leanza
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
You heard it from the Poohbah. If you want to keep it up, take your chances. I have the keys when he turns his back, and I'm in no mood for BS this weekend. Just make that post memorable, because it's liable to be last you have for a while should you make the choice to continue on.

Phil is the 'good cop' but can get really pissed off at times. I'm the 'bad cop', and I'm always pissed off .....and this week isn't nearly as good as most.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #27
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Phil is the 'good cop' but can get really pissed off at times. I'm the 'bad cop', and I'm always pissed off

Book e'm Dano!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #28
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

Default More Beans

I use #10 cans of Bush Beans from Sam's and I doctor them up and people love them. And I'll bet you could make the beans from scratch and get a great product, too. I just don't have that kind of time if I'm cooking for a big group. A small family gathering is another thing, But - taste is everything and I've made some killer beans that got raves and they came from a can. But remember you gotta doctor them or they taste like canned beans.
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #29
Plowboy

That was fun!!!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #30
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbeagle View Post

What I am really asking is what sort of pot or cooking apparatus is used to get 5 gallons of beans baked and ready to serve. Do you bake them a gallon at a time, ahead of time and freeze? Or do you have a way of baking them all at once just in time for dinner?

PS I make mine. Not the canned ones.
The foil pans in your smoker are the best and most efficient way to do this, granted you have the space. Otherwise a roaster oven works well but can max out your electrical in a hurry. Those suckers draw lots of amps. Lots of good suggestions here. You may want to check out the road map as there are lots of great bean ideas there. Keri C's beans are always a hit and very easy to do. Good luck.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote