MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
ov1
On the road to being a farker

Default cooking class

I would like to attend a competition barbeque cooking class over the winter and would like to know if anybody has any preferences..... Favorite instructors...best information....most bang for the buck. Also if there were some not so beneficial. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ottie

The Flying Burritos
ov1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
lwest99

Not sure when Pellet Envy is having their next class but it is top notch. I would highly recommend them.
:icon_cool
lwest99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Check the KC BBQ Assoc site. They list classes. I liked the one I took this summer
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had the pleasure of taking one a couple years ago by Ray Lampe, aka Dr. BBQ.
One of the best.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

I took "the boys from tornado ally" class (Bart Clark, and Donny Teel) and would recommend it. That is the only class I have taken so far. It was money well spent.

I want to take the old school / high tech class next.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304

Last edited by Captain Caveman; 09-17-2008 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: my dumb arse can't spell
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ov1 View Post
I would like to attend a competition barbeque cooking class over the winter and would like to know if anybody has any preferences..... Favorite instructors...best information....most bang for the buck. Also if there were some not so beneficial. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ottie

The Flying Burritos
I just completed a write up on my blog on Donny Teel's competition BBQ class. It was top notch and worth EVERY penny I paid to attend, in fact I would pay again in the future just to have the time to talk and pick Donny's brain again!
Needless to say I would highly recommend his class, if you do you will come away knowing why Donny is one of the best out their. Here's the write up I did:
http://bossmanbbq.com/2008/09/12/buf...ooking-school/

Let Donny know the Bossman recommended the class!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq View Post
I just completed a write up on my blog on Donny Teel's competition BBQ class. It was top notch and worth EVERY penny I paid to attend, in fact I would pay again in the future just to have the time to talk and pick Donny's brain again!
Needless to say I would highly recommend his class, if you do you will come away knowing why Donny is one of the best out their. Here's the write up I did:
http://bossmanbbq.com/2008/09/12/buf...ooking-school/

Let Donny know the Bossman recommended the class!

Bossman I want to read your blog but its not coming up!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

If you are looking for the best of the best, my advice is to take the Jack's Old South class. You'll not just be learning about competition barbecue from the three time World Champion, you'll become a part of the extended Mixon family.

Myron will demonstrate every step of his winning technique and supply you with his recipes for Memphis in May, KCBS and FBA sanctioned events. You'll get the opportunity to help as Myron and Doby prep, cook and build boxes. After the class you can call Myron any time you have a question. Nothing is held back.

Yes, it's the most expensive class out there, but the value is incredible and it's more than just a class, it's an opportunity spend a weekend with a living legend that you will remember for a long time. I took the class last year and it was a terrific experience. In fact some of the ideas I learned have taken my team from top ten finishers into the money this season, with the resulting winnings paying for the cost of the class.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #9
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Ottie, since you cook on a FEC I would recommend either Pellet Envy class, or, look into the class at cookshack by Fast Eddy. Trying to step up and get some of those pointers going huh?...glad to see you sticking with it, you and your team seem to have a blast at the contests, and dont want to see ya disappearing.
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork View Post
Bossman I want to read your blog but its not coming up!
Its working, try the website its the second article down the page....

www.bossmanbbq.com

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
If you are looking for the best of the best, my advice is to take the Jack's Old South class. You'll not just be learning about competition barbecue from the three time World Champion, you'll become a part of the extended Mixon family.

Myron will demonstrate every step of his winning technique and supply you with his recipes for Memphis in May, KCBS and FBA sanctioned events. You'll get the opportunity to help as Myron and Doby prep, cook and build boxes. After the class you can call Myron any time you have a question. Nothing is held back.

Yes, it's the most expensive class out there, but the value is incredible and it's more than just a class, it's an opportunity spend a weekend with a living legend that you will remember for a long time. I took the class last year and it was a terrific experience. In fact some of the ideas I learned have taken my team from top ten finishers into the money this season, with the resulting winnings paying for the cost of the class.
Myron would get my vote as well, let me preface this by saying that I want to take his class. As you say he cooks in 3 organizations contests and is successful in all 3!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I can second the Dr. BBQ class. Not only is Ray a great guy, but his class is very good. I've taken at least one walk in every comp since taking his class. Granted, that's only 4 comps, but the class helped tons.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

For pellet users, the Cookshack class with Fast Eddy and Paul Schatte is a must do. High Tech vs. Low Tech with Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg is an excellent class, as well as Myron's. Dr. BBQ's and Paul Kirk's teachings are great. I have not been to Donnie's class, but if he disclosed half of his knowledge, it would be money well spent. He is a fantastic cook. I would recommend any of the above. Steve.

Last edited by ssbbqguy; 09-19-2008 at 10:22 AM..
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
Sidw

I am sure there are a lot of very good classes. We have a taken a couple in the past few years. We really liked the old school vs. high tech class the best so for.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
ov1

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. It sounds like a lot of people are having success with a few different instructors, so that makes me confident that which ever ones i attend will be well worth it.

Ottie

The Flying Burritos
ov1 is offline   Reply With Quote