MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
abbqbreeze
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Bbq books

I want to build up my BBQ library, what are some of the must have books from the thousands out there?
abbqbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Try here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=90300 just pass them on when done... About 2 weeks

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
mjl
On the road to being a farker

If I see a bbq book, I buy it. Having said that, the same 2 keep bubbling up to the top of my go to list
Big Time BBQ - Ray Lampe
Serious Barbecue - Adam Perry Lang

ML

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is our current in-stock list of books. We sell them for about 50% off list price. Plus use the Brethren discount code.

http://bbqequipmentstore.com/Cook-Books_c90.htm
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others

Last edited by 5-0 BBQ; 08-02-2011 at 08:13 AM..
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I second Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. Great book

Another one I like is BBQ Makes Everything Better by Aaron Chronister and Jason Day.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

A third vote for Serious BBQ, its a great book. I also like Low and Slow:the art of bbq in 5 easy Lessons by Gary Wiviott. He spends a lot of time explaining how to get and the importance of a clean burning fire, and it has some great recipes in it.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Big Time BBQ is a great book. Here's my review of it too: http://q4fun.blogspot.com/2011/02/bo...-barbecue.html

Another good one is Holy Smoke. It looks more at NC BBQ but gives an interesting read of the history of it and some great recipes.

I picked up[ the Southern Livings BBQ cook book and it is good too. Especially for beginners. Nice pictures to show how to set up offset smoking in a cooker and other little helpful tips.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
jmellor
is one Smokin' Farker

I like Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike Mills. It's a good read in addition to some good recipes. Some of the Raichlen books are actually pretty interesting as well for a wide range of regional recipes. BBQ USA and Planet BBQ are fun to read through and have some decent recipes.

Remember RGB....always sending it
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Peace love and BBQ, and any of Dr. BBQ's books (Especially Big time BBQ Cookbook) will be good for an entertaining read, and many good recipes. I use Mike mills magic dust, in combination with Dr BBQ's big time BBQ sauce, and haven't found another combination that I like better.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Paul Kirks Championship Barbeque and Big Bob Gibsons along with Adam Perry Lang are my go to books. Don't have any of the Dr BBQ's book yet.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
H2OFowl
Got Wood.

I'm wading my way through Steven Raichlen's BBQ USA (774 pages).

Although I'm not a big fan of the TV show, the book isn't too bad. I like the stories with each section.

My 2 cents.
2015 UDS (#2),1997-Weber Silver,Smokey Joe,Mini WSM,Genesis NG,OJ Highland,IQue 110
H2OFowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have several of those book that i have receive over the years . They are sitting on shelf collecting dust. They are all basically the same. if I need to know any infromation I usaully use google.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Stratuslowrider
Found some matches.

I personally like Championship BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Food by Karen Putnam. Has a great sections for first time easy recipes all the way to more complicated meals. Plenty of of brines, marinades, rubs, appetizers, beef, poultry, seafood veggies,lamb, and fruit.:icon_blush
Stratuslowrider is offline   Reply With Quote