Parsley turn in box question

altomari8868

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have read about many people pre building their boxes at home and taking them to competitions with them. My question is do they transfer them into the contest orginizers box when they get there?? Is it hard to do this or just an easy slide from one to another....

i think pickled pig does it where he builds them at home an transfers them at the contest. I believe he uses was paper to slide it over. I build mine at the contest site. i got them them down to 10-15 minutes per box. it relaxes me, parsley zen :)

I have my wife build mine... so whenever she has time she builds them... usually Saturday morning...

i think pickled pig does it where he builds them at home an transfers them at the contest. I believe he uses was paper to slide it over. I build mine at the contest site. i got them them down to 10-15 minutes per box. it relaxes me, parsley zen :)

I'm with Sled on this. When you are pacing, checking the time every 5 minutes, some parsley pickin' has a soothing effect.

I've actually found parsley box building on Friday nights to before a comp to be relaxing too! I do the Pickled Pig method, transfer as soon as we get the event boxes and tidy them up, put the bar codes on and we are ready to rock!

I get overly excited with very green bushy organic parsley from my local grocer. I usually buy 8 bunches, but depending on the quality end up using 4 or 5 to build 4 full boxes, and even less if I go the frame route. I've got it down to @ 45 minutes or less to pump out 4 boxes.

I just can't get a decent lettuce box to save my life!

if you pack it in tight enough to the build box, when you get to the site, you just cut away the side of that box so that nothing catches, then just slide it off into the competition box like a pizza off a board... just practice before you do it at a competition!

Is it illegal in a KCBS comp to add a layer of Styrofoam on the bottom of the box? Lets say I build a box at home in a clamshell box of my own. When i get to the contest i cut the bottom out and then put it in the box I receive from the reps.

Is it illegal in a KCBS comp to add a layer of Styrofoam on the bottom of the box? Lets say I build a box at home in a clamshell box of my own. When i get to the contest i cut the bottom out and then put it in the box I receive from the reps.

It's a foreign object and a DQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would imagine that it would be illegal as it could be a foreign object. Using wax paper to just slide it in is really easy.

its the same material as the box itself , how does that make it foreign?

its the same material as the box itself , how does that make it foreign?

It is IN the box, not the box itself. It's not garnish, it's not product being turned in to be judged. Therefore, it's a foreign object.

My favorite, yet painful, garnish story revolves around a trip to a comp at a winery this summer when I mispacked my overstuffed trailer and some gasoline sloshed out of a plastic "gas can" AND to make matters worse, a small cooler had popped open, exposing, you guessed it, ALL of the garnish. As it turned out, unleaded is not a a good choice for salad dressings. Lettuce and parsley pretty much just throw in the towel at the first splash of Texaco's finest. My wife (designated turn-in box builder) however,found that the winery proprieter's daughter was at the store, some 40 miles away as I recall. They called her and the day was saved until she showed up an hour later with red tipped lettuce (The salad was good). Brother JD McGee here, immediately volunteered to share his left-overs and the day, was, in fact, saved. Lesson to be learned? Consider fake plastic parsley!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently found out that it is NOT a violation of the KCBS rules to send your wife home with the boxes, and have her build them at home Friday night, and return with them Saturday morning. Very convienent for contests less than 20 minutes from home (2 of them for me this year) but not as much for the rest of the season...

I've actually found parsley box building on Friday nights to before a comp to be relaxing too! I do the Pickled Pig method, transfer as soon as we get the event boxes and tidy them up, put the bar codes on and we are ready to rock!

I get overly excited with very green bushy organic parsley from my local grocer. I usually buy 8 bunches, but depending on the quality end up using 4 or 5 to build 4 full boxes, and even less if I go the frame route. I've got it down to @ 45 minutes or less to pump out 4 boxes.

I just can't get a decent lettuce box to save my life!

I have seen his blood pressure drop right before my eyes when he does his boxes...on the other hand I have seen him giddy as a school girl at the QFC produce aisle when the organic parsley meets his approval...;0)

We were talking about something like this at the Royal. I think KCBS should issue each team a set of identical pieces of astroturf precut for the box. It would save us time and make appearance all about the meat, no questions.

I like this idea...

ORRRRRRRR

You could just do away with the friggin box of salad to start with and just make it about the meat...no questions. :wink:

Does the elimination of garnish in KCBS have any traction yet as far as a rule change?

Back