MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Default Progress - learning about BBQ using a WSM + qu

Hi there

So, third cook on the WSM. Have tried ribs, pork butt, now for some beef. This is a beef rib roast down our way. Was going to try as a prime rib, but they had cut off all the fat/meat mixed content above (below?) the main lump of meat, so decided to treat as a rib. Used SIL's 'Serious Barbecue' by Adam Perry Lang and his Short Ribs on pge 186. The whole prep was a bit too fiddly for my concept of BBQ, but came out looking pretty good and tasting excellent.

Result was a tad dry for my liking, but I didn't do the 2x rest like he said (the troops were murmuring) and cut short the last cook... I think it needed another hour in the cooker and needed the rests. It was just tender enough, but wasn't internally as juicy as I expected. Fortunately, the sauce out of the foil wrap was a winner and this dribbled over the meat was pretty sensational. I did think that the actual bark itself was almost too strong a flavour to eat - very, very intense.

Lesson, start earlier than you think!

Qus... is this a piece of meat where IT can be a guide to being done? What about probe resistance...I probed with the Thermapen and it was resistant on the two ends and like proverbial buttah in the central section?

Had a new Maverick OT-03BBQ to measure the grill temp as I was suspicious of the Weber dome gauge... it showed 20 degrees hotter on the grill surface up to about 250 and then about 10 degrees different. But next day, when I was cooking at 300 for chicken thighs, it was all over the place (though the grill was always hotter). So, very glad to have the thermometer and I have one with two probes on order.

Actually, as its a long weekend here, I cooked chicken thighs the next day - and we have a winner - by which I mean something which appealed to everyone, they were truly sensational. Before tasting, but out of the smoker, I was lamenting no sauce with them (my wife does a pretty mean drumstick roast which has excellent sauce as part of the cook)...but when we cut into them, they were dripping moisture and were obviously a very good cook. So, everyone loved these. The sweetness is a bit of a challenge to non-American tastes, but we can adjust that to some extent in the future.

Really enjoying the WSM, and tried some brickettes and these I found more difficult to stabilise, but once settled, went for hours.

Spring here in Aotearoa - land of the long white cloud.

TIA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beef_rib_roast_3.JPG (82.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Beef_rib_roast_5.JPG (106.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Beef_rib_roast_7.JPG (144.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Beef_rib_roast_1.JPG (160.7 KB, 101 views)

Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

That's a rib roast up here, too. It looks like the butcher frenched the bones and left you the main muscle. I would have still cooked it like prime rib and cooked it to 130F internal (your taste may vary). It;s too lean to cook like beef ribs.

What are those round marks in the slice on the plate?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Ron. Rib roasts are just too damn nice for low and slow. Save that for cheaper cuts like bottom blades, etc.

I cook my rib roasts with indirect heat on my Weber grill at about 325 til rare. I then take it off and let it rest under foil for at least 1/2 an hour before carving.

BTW Welcome to BBQ Brethren! This is the world's finest forum for barbecue and grilling. Everything you ever wanted to know can be found here.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Yep, looks like a rib roast. I'd cook that like prime rib, low n slow till internal temp hits around 110-115 F, then give it a quick sear on a scorching hot fire to crisp up the outside. Remove from cooker when internal is around 125 F, then rest lightly tented under foil for 30 minutes before slicing. Whatever temp you decide to cook a piece of meat like this to, remember the temp will continue to rise 5-10 degrees F during the rest period.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

nice looking

Old 10-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That's a rib roast up here, too. It looks like the butcher frenched the bones and left you the main muscle. I would have still cooked it like prime rib and cooked it to 130F internal (your taste may vary). It;s too lean to cook like beef ribs.

What are those round marks in the slice on the plate?
Thanks everyone... those round marks are bits of the crust/bark that have broken off when slicing.