WSM advice?

chihuachsund

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm thinking about getting a WSM. Where will I find one at a good price? I'm looking at the 22.5 inch model. I've seen them for upwards of $400 online but thought that might be a bit high.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

Amazon.com will probably be as cheap as any... especially with the free supersaver shipping if its available.

If you are in a state that Amazon charges sales tax for (like KS), be sure to click the "14 new" link under the price. It brings up other sellers, but some are fulfilled by amazon and still have no shipping. This allows you to save a little money on sales tax. This is what I did for my 22.5" WSM and saved ~ $30.

Just a warning with Amazon. They offer a "Used - Like New Condition" WSM that is $18 cheaper. It is almost new but the top on it is damaged - porcelain is chipped badly along the edge. I got it this week and returned it as soon as I saw the damage. Just ordered the brand new one instaed.

okay, after some more research, I'm now considering the 18 inch model. I haven't ever cooked more than 6-8 smallish butts. So would that fit on the 18? I have read that the tradeoff in space on the 22 is mitigated by the fuel consumption, so would I be better off with the smaller one?

I have read that the tradeoff in space on the 22 is mitigated by the fuel consumption, so would I be better off with the smaller one?

Fuel usage, fuel usage...how much "more" fuel does a 22 use vs. the 18? Seriously...charcoal is farkin' cheap.

okay, after some more research, I'm now considering the 18 inch model. I haven't ever cooked more than 6-8 smallish butts. So would that fit on the 18? I have read that the tradeoff in space on the 22 is mitigated by the fuel consumption, so would I be better off with the smaller one?

If all you'll ever plan to cook is one butt, brisket or a rack or two of ribs, the 18" will be just fine..

I have an 18" and it is plenty big for me and my family. I can do up to 6 chickens at once (3 on each rack) or 2 butts (1 and 1).

I had an 18" for a few months and found myself wanting a bigger one. Doing ribs was the breaking point for me. On the smaller unit I found I needed to use a rib rack which seemed to be inefficient and a PITA. Doing two large pork butts was OK but checking the one on the bottom rack meant I needed to take the top rack off.

I ended up selling the 18" and the 22.5" is on the way now. I don't think I will regret getting the bigger one.

I ended up getting the 22.5. The price was at 329 on Amazon when we started looking, so we decided to see if they came down on Black Friday, well, they went up to 366, so we decided to wait for cyber-Monday, and they only came down to like 355 or so. We finally pulled the trigger when we found it for 349 with free shipping. Right after that Amazon came down to 322 briefly. Glad we did get the 349 deal because they went up to 399 for Christmas, and haven't really come down. Cooked 6 butts on it for new years eve as a maiden voyage (the wife wouldn't let me fondle it until Christmas), and they came out great, it was so easy to operate after fighting my chargriller outlaw I couldn't believe it. Thanks all for the input!

Back