Free & Easy Hover Grill (pron)

mrboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This may not be an original idea, but it's new to me. I've always toyed with the idea of a making a hover grill for my UDS.

I've got a two grate set up 8" apart. Problem is, there's a 30º temp difference between that 8" space and I never cook on both grates at once, until today...

Today I stood over my UDS with both grates in hand contemplating the hardware I'd need to make my hover grill (typically 4 lag bolts, 8 washers and 4 nuts), to run through the hover grate to make it stand on top of the bottom grate.

I turned one grate over (up side down) the other, looked at them and rotated the top grate 90º

Wallah, free hover grill.

Turning the top grate upside down and rotating it 90º makes kind of a grate sandwich.

The two handles of the upside down (top) grate rest on the bottom, right side up grate. The handles of the right side up grate support the top, upside down grate, creating a hover grill with a 2 1/2" space between the two grates.

Last edited:
To in crease the cooking surface... two racks of ribs on the bottom, two on top.

Because temps may be closer than normal? I like the simple rib racks - 5 Racks of Ribs on one grate.

I've just never found rib racks that I like, the slabs seem to lay over on top of each other and I don't get very good air/smoke flow around the slabs of ribs. I've seen some nice diy rib racks, but I don't have any metal skills.

Back