MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Default Meadowcreek PR60 advice needed big pig

Hey Folks,

I am cooking a pig on a rented Meadow Creek PR60 this weekend for a buddy's party. I just got the call that Wilbur just clocked in at 165 pounds dressed. I want to do pulled hog not sliced pork. Any input on time? I plan to cook at 250 degrees. I have 200 pounds of hardwood charcoal. I was thinking 90 minuets per 10 pounds so that looks like 24 hours or so.

My concerns are hitting the serving time. If done early I can't warp Wilbur and put him in a Cambro. That said i don't want folks waiting around for hours to eat. I plan to take the shoulders to 190 / 200 degrees. Target time to serve is 6:30 pm on Sunday.

I was thinking an hour to get the cooker up to temp, 24 hours at 250 and then an hour to rest. Does this sound correct or am I cooking too long? A pig this size is going to max out the PR60 from what I can tell. Any input from those who have used this cooker would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have never used a Meadow Creek, but in my pig roaster I have done 1 169 lb pig, and at a target temp of 250 sometimes with spikes up to 270 I used 90 lbs of charcoal and the cook lasted 14 hours. All cookers are different, so this may not be your times.

My cooker isn't a side burner but an oil tank with a heat diffuser plate. Side burners take more time as the heat is even more indirect.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

A PR60 is designed the same way. It will hold 100 pounds of charcoal and it has a drip pan that acts as a heat diffuser. Very similar. At 14 hours were you pulling the meat or slicing it? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarbque View Post
A PR60 is designed the same way. It will hold 100 pounds of charcoal and it has a drip pan that acts as a heat diffuser. Very similar. At 14 hours were you pulling the meat or slicing it? Thanks for the feedback.
Actually to save time I chopped it because I was short handed with help, to pull it I should have had let it go a little longer as I started the rest at 195 and processed the meat after the 1 one hour rest.

I now cook a smaller pigs for the wow effect, and cook whole shoulders on the side as the shoulders have a greater meat yield.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

It takes me about 16 hours to do a 100 lb dressed in my pr 60 that is at 275.
I think you would be good on your timeline, you can slow it down but its tough to rush it.
it should fit fine by the way.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you both for your advice. This is going to be an interesting two days.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
IamMadMan

Let us know what your results were...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
ChiefBrock
Knows what a fatty is.

update?