MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #16
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Charcoal smokers (ugly drum, Weber kettle or Smokey Mountain, insulated vertical cabinets) are designed to limit the amount of air flow, causing the charcoal to burn low and slow for long times.

Wood smokers (offset smokers) are designed to increase airflow allowing wood to burn clean.

Screwdriver meet hammer.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #17
Beer Belly BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I've always ran charcoal with splits in my stick burners. Especially for competitions. I will start with 1-2 chimney full of a good lump and about 2 splits to get it heated up. Then i will throw splits every 45 minutes to an hour. Once the coal bed is starting to dwindle down I will add more lump.
Beer Belly BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Belly BBQ View Post
I've always ran charcoal with splits in my stick burners. Especially for competitions. I will start with 1-2 chimney full of a good lump and about 2 splits to get it heated up. Then i will throw splits every 45 minutes to an hour. Once the coal bed is starting to dwindle down I will add more lump.
Starting with charcoal to get a good base, is much different than planning to use charcoal as the main heat source!

Old 10-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #19
pokeable
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : T

Quote:
OP seems to be asking if you can run an offset primarily with charcoal as the fuel, and add splits primarily for smoke/flavor.

I start my offset with a couple of handfuls of lump, with a split or two on top as well. But after that, am just throwing in more splits.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #20
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

This thread started in 2013.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=178270

Almost 20,000 people have read it.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #21
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I use splits, but later in the cook I'll use B&B Competition Char Logs for additional BTU's.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #22
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I use a chimney of charcoal and a couple splits at start up but once a coal bed has formed it's all split wood from then on. I dont think my Shirley would run on charcoal as a primary heat source. It would take a ridiculous amount for sure. I suppose it depends on the kind of offset you are using. My old New Braunfels worked with a hefty dose of charcoal and an occasional split but it was a different animal entirely.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #23
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
This thread started in 2013.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=178270

Almost 20,000 people have read it.
I remember that One.........

Old 10-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #24
BigRich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Thank you
BigRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #25
BigRich

I started smoking this morning with a two splits on top of a lit chimney that’s on top of an unlit chimney. These are going along nicely. About an hour in I through on two more chunks of wood. I had intermittent blue smoke after about 30 min. 30 min after that, I still have a nice steady stream of blue smoke.

Do you guys remove the bark to lessen the white smoke? I’m preheating the wood on top of the firebox which I’ve read also lessens the white smoke. Lastly, what’s the largest split you’d put on?

Old 10-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #26
pokeable
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : T

1) Bark v. no bark is a personal preference. Some say with bark, if properly aged, catches on fire quicker and has some of the "flavor" associated with smoke. I personally debarked, in that I noticed a lot of critters in it.

2) I put in a 16", full width split last week; it lasted a lot longer than the typical 1/2 width split I use, but I noticed the coal bed starting to die so it's pick your poison.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #27
halfcocked
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
I started smoking this morning with a two splits on top of a lit chimney that’s on top of an unlit chimney. These are going along nicely. About an hour in I through on two more chunks of wood. I had intermittent blue smoke after about 30 min. 30 min after that, I still have a nice steady stream of blue smoke.

Do you guys remove the bark to lessen the white smoke? I’m preheating the wood on top of the firebox which I’ve read also lessens the white smoke. Lastly, what’s the largest split you’d put on?
I start with a well lit (white ash to the top) chimney and wood from then on. I have put additional coals on if the bed begins to die but NEVER coals that are not fully lit. Don't want charcoal taste on my smoked butt or brisket.
halfcocked is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #28
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

I start mine with about a half chimney of coals, then wood the rest of the way.
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #29
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

What Old Country do you have? I used to do this because I was convinced by Amazingribs.com that it was the way to go. I generally would use lump charcoal and wood chunks. I'd have to throw a chimney of lump on roughly every hour. These were slightly smaller walmart chimneys. I used a charcoal basket I made from expanded metal. I did this for a few years even and switched to a WSM but kept the Old Country. Mine is a 20 inch diameter that's somewhere in size between a Pecos and Wrangler that they were building in 2011. It's the same steel thickness as the Wrangler minus the heavier guage door.

Anyway, I decided to try stickburning on it and good grief that's so much easier. If you insist on doing it the way you are get a charcoal basket of some kind. I would pre-light my chimneys. I dunno if that's necessary. You could do something more like a minion method. Because of the airflow in the offet it's hard to not have the whole basket of charcoal light on you. You could probably get away with adding unlit every hour but you might get some dirty smoke.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #30
BigRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
What Old Country do you have? I used to do this because I was convinced by Amazingribs.com that it was the way to go. I generally would use lump charcoal and wood chunks. I'd have to throw a chimney of lump on roughly every hour. These were slightly smaller walmart chimneys. I used a charcoal basket I made from expanded metal. I did this for a few years even and switched to a WSM but kept the Old Country. Mine is a 20 inch diameter that's somewhere in size between a Pecos and Wrangler that they were building in 2011. It's the same steel thickness as the Wrangler minus the heavier guage door.

Anyway, I decided to try stickburning on it and good grief that's so much easier. If you insist on doing it the way you are get a charcoal basket of some kind. I would pre-light my chimneys. I dunno if that's necessary. You could do something more like a minion method. Because of the airflow in the offet it's hard to not have the whole basket of charcoal light on you. You could probably get away with adding unlit every hour but you might get some dirty smoke.

No this way is ok. Started off with charcoal and using wood after that is good. I might add some charcoal along the way to stabilize the temp a bit. This smoker is a Brazos. I have a basket.