The worst crawfish boil, ever?

I'm guessing the crawfish could have been purged already... and I can see using that method for a reheat, BUT not for the main cook.
I like to put the sausage in earlier to season the cooking pot along with the lemons, onion, garlic, etc.. Also I let the corn and tatoes soak up the broth too. A one minute cook wouldn't allow any flavor to be absorbed into the corn, tatoes or the crawfish. imo

Maybe he was going for a completely different flavor profile. Not the traditional.:loco::laugh:

Well heck. I'll go head to head (see what I did there) with anyone South of Bunkie (That's the unofficial border between South LA. and North LA.) what with being a "fool from Shreveport" and all. Alot of folks don't know this but the best Cajun fare does not come from SE. LA. It comes from Central and SW. Louisiana. Up here we are influenced not only by Cajun fare but also Texas BBQ, Soul food and Southern Arkansas cuisine which is a whole nother story.

As for the vid, It does not even deserve a reply. I know Bob has had the real deal. Looking forward to doing it again Soon.

25pl3xj.jpg

2whfnu0.jpg

16gnc8.jpg

2091q4i.jpg

sz7two.jpg

Yeah, We are OK up Shreveport way.

Maybe black potatoes cook in one minute? And it was fast boil corn too. Not gonna lie- not the biggest crawdad fan - but I have better sense than that.
Was a good rant- got to admit.

That was really bad - I'd say tied for worst with the Bobby Flay crawfish boil in Houston. They boiled the crawfish for 30 (!!!) minutes in plain, unseasoned (!!!) water. Then they did the shake the seasoning on afterwards thing in a cooler and let them stand for a while. Those crawfish would have been barely edible being so over cooked.

For the record, seasoning after the cook is common along the I-10 corridor west of Lafayette. I don't like it, because this method relies on getting the seasoning on your fingers instead of into the seafood. (Marylanders do this with crabs, too.). To each their own.

I worked in a commercial kitchen while I was in college. I used to boil 2500+ lbs of seafood per day. I also worked for a catering company and once catered the company picnic for the Baton Rouge Exxon plant. Needless to say, I have cooked a few crawfish in my life. The trick to good crawfish (shrimp and crabs, too) is to just cook them through. That way the meat stays plump and juicy.

My times are as follows (starting with seasoned, boiling water):
- Crawfish: Boil 3.5 min, soak 15-18
- Crabs: Boil 10 min, soak 20
- Shrimp: Bring water to boil, turn off, soak 5-8 min

You have to season the water a bit more aggressively with the reduced soak times, but you will find that these times yield easy peeling, meaty seafoods. People always comment on how easy my shrimp peel.

Well heck. I'll go head to head (see what I did there) with anyone South of Bunkie (That's the unofficial border between South LA. and North LA.) what with being a "fool from Shreveport" and all. Alot of folks don't know this but the best Cajun fare does not come from SE. LA. It comes from Central and SW. Louisiana. Up here we are influenced not only by Cajun fare but also Texas BBQ, Soul food and Southern Arkansas cuisine which is a whole nother story.

As for the vid, It does not even deserve a reply. I know Bob has had the real deal. Looking forward to doing it again Soon.

25pl3xj.jpg

2whfnu0.jpg

16gnc8.jpg

2091q4i.jpg

sz7two.jpg

Yeah, We are OK up Shreveport way.
Way to represent Hap!

Back