Huntington Beach area BBQ/BBQ wares?

Paulie

Got Wood.
Hey All, going to be in Huntington Beach in October, but I want to get some leads on good BBQ in and around the area (will have a car) and anywhere I can pick up some rubs and spices (shipping to Canada makes this cost prohibitive right now).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am sorry to say that the best BBQ joint in the area, Smokin' Mo's on Main Street, is out of business. We moved away from HB 5 years ago and I just Googled to get an address for you and found out that this little joint had closed. It was right on Main Street (next to the surf shops, bikini shops and places selling tourist crap) so maybe the rents were too high for them. Too bad - authentic pit-smoked Q with a great selection of regional sauces.

I frankly don't know of another local place to get good bbq. I lived there for 10 years but it was before I was into bbq like I am now.

A bit more internet searching reveals http://www.beachpitbbq.com/ -- but I've never been there and can't vouch for it. But it looks worth a try.

But I would be amiss if I didn't mention TK Burger right on PCH, just south of Main Street. Awesome beachside burger joint. Cheeseburger and fries never tasted so good as when you get it at TK and sit and watch the surf.

I definitely endorse Beach Pit BBQ, great food. Other than that, there's a couple of places around, but nothing i'd actually recommend. As for ready made rubs, can't really help you out there, I usually mix my own. As for where to get the spices, THAT i can tell you all about. The place i've been getting the vast majority of my spices recently is as a market called Super King on the border of Anaheim and Stanton. It's like a giant middle eastern market that also carries mexican, german and some asian products. Kind of crazy actually. The lot is big, but always packed, and inside is like a giant mosh pit, but it's worth it. The spices are real nice, and at an even better price. When you come down, shoot me a PM and i'll meet you there and give you the nickel tour. :)

You will have a much easier time finding caviar in Huntington Beach than BBQ. You may find a smoked swan sandwich on a lunch menu -- for 29 dollars.

You need to venture East or South from there to find real BBQ.

While down there, you also need to venture into a Mexican immigrant neighborhood in LA and find a good Taquería. :thumb:

I go to LA on a regular basis, including the rich neighborhoods, where I can always find a good sandwich using fresh produce, which they have in abundance there. But, I love to go to the Mexican neighborhoods to eat some outstanding hole-in-the-wall Mexican food.

Not sure where to go, pull into any Home Depot parking lot, and ask the day laborers hanging out there where to eat. :wink:

CD

Don't need to go to LA, Santa Ana is covered with great taquerias. Some of my favorite are actually little trailers. El Toro Bravo in Costa Mesa is always good. Plus they know me there. El Gallo Giro in Santa Ana seems like the quality has dropped a bit in the past year or so, sadly. Although there's a place here in Anaheim, Lindo Michoacan #2 that should you get the taco's, the tortillas are actually made to order. SO GOOD. I love their Al Pastor. Not to mention their Mole' Enchilladas. Also amazing. I was born and raised in here in Orange County, I got your back. :)

And I'm still partial to Wahoo's Fish Tacos - great fried fish tacos and the onion rings are my very favorite (the coating on them is like a sweet pancake batter). Its a different sort of place than the taquerias mentioned above, but I like it a lot. There are a few in the area.

The Sugar Shack is a great hole in the wall for breakfast - right on Main St. in HB close to the water. You go to either the front or the back and sign your name on a clipboard and wait for your table.

And Big Ace, thanks for the tips on a couple of new places for me to try next time I'm back in the OC!

Don't need to go to LA, Santa Ana is covered with great taquerias. Some of my favorite are actually little trailers. El Toro Bravo in Costa Mesa is always good. Plus they know me there. El Gallo Giro in Santa Ana seems like the quality has dropped a bit in the past year or so, sadly. Although there's a place here in Anaheim, Lindo Michoacan #2 that should you get the taco's, the tortillas are actually made to order. SO GOOD. I love their Al Pastor. Not to mention their Mole' Enchilladas. Also amazing. I was born and raised in here in Orange County, I got your back. :)

Yeah, Santa Ana will do. I was using the broad sense of the term, "LA."

Orange County is a mixture of McSuburbs and real neighborhoods.

CD

Back