When catering ribs?

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding ribs to my catering menu for next year and I have a few questions for those that do them. If doing spare ribs how do you serve the whole spares or St Louis cut? How many bones do you figure per person for the price you charge? For me like when doing pulled pork I allow guests to have at the buffet and some may take a 3oz sandwich and others may eat 1/2lb. I figure and cook a 1/3lb per person and I have yet to come close to running out. I'd like to have a menu for next year with a meat selection and a price for a choice of 1, 2 or 3 meats with a list of meats but I am worried say if a group of 50 people choose spare ribs as the only meat then how many bones per person to figure for that. I have seen posts where people say 2 or 3 bones when there are 2 meats but what if it is the only meat? Thanks for your input...

Jacked Up, are those catering prices? That what I sell them for when vending. I guess what I am looking for is how many bones would you figure per person for buffet if ribs were the only meat?

When cooking ribs at family gatherings and other functions, I cook whole slabs, no St. Louis or Memphis cuts. If cooking ribs only, I figure half slab per person plus 3 slabs extra for the pit. It always works out fine with maybe a slab or 2 left over for me,,lol. $15 a slab on reunion/gatherings. Anything else they go for $18 like everyone else charges for catering or vending.

We will stand a serve the ribs (one person can easily hand them a plate with their portioned ribs on the plate) and self serve buffet the rest. It only takes two or three big eaters to screw up your count.

We figure two bones per person when doing two meats, but if you are not serving, you better plan on 6 bones per person, because that is what people will take. We did a benefit for a winery where the owner wanted people to serve themselves. I saw one lady take nearly an entire rack of ribs, so we had to immediately step in and serve, or they would have been gone before 75% of the people got to them.

ribs are tricky serving as the stand alone meat. Bring about what Dave suggested.

If it's cost plus fine, load em up, if not ya better serve them 2-3 bones per..

We figure two bones per person when doing two meats, but if you are not serving, you better plan on 6 bones per person, because that is what people will take. We did a benefit for a winery where the owner wanted people to serve themselves. I saw one lady take nearly an entire rack of ribs, so we had to immediately step in and serve, or they would have been gone before 75% of the people got to them.
up north this also is exactly what will happen, old granny is a big eater when self serve..we will start the plates for them with 2 bones on..just like the chicken be sure to qtr first cause they take a whole half and eat a wing..if time permits and it is self serve cut single bones if you serve cut 2 bones..

however on pricing we charge 20bucks for 5 to 20 ...18 bucks for 20 to 50 a rack unless they order 50 or more 16bucks

We will stand a serve the ribs (one person can easily hand them a plate with their portioned ribs on the plate) and self serve buffet the rest. It only takes two or three big eaters to screw up your count.
We serve this method also and cut them California style.

OK Hollywood but that just sounds a bit limp wristed . haha!

I figure 1/3 rack per person, unless I offer ribs with another meat, then more like 1/4 rack per person. Never had a problem.

I usually ask how much they would like per person. Usually it is 1/3 of a rack, one time a factory of 40 wanted one rack per person. That was nice.

Back