This weekends Beef Ribs and Chuck Roast (PRON)

PaulG78

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made my first beef ribs and chuck roast this weekend. The flavor of the meat was great but the ribs were difficult to eat, too much effort to get the meat off. I'm not sure if I did not remove enough of the membrane on the back of the ribs or if is the nature of beef ribs.
DSC04142.jpg

DSC04143.jpg

DSC04147.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

Beef ribs is something I'd really like to try, just havn't been able to find good looking ones to get. The butcher at the local market told me he just orders the whole short ribs once or twice a year to do them. That's probably what I'll try. Yours look good!

Those ribs look great, but try cooking individual beef short ribs, use the same technique you did there, and the short rib meat will be soft and tender, like little brisket pillows......also, how did the chuck roast turn out, i have never smoked one?

Those ribs look great, but try cooking individual beef short ribs, use the same technique you did there, and the short rib meat will be soft and tender, like little brisket pillows......also, how did the chuck roast turn out, i have never smoked one?

Thanks for the tips on short ribs, I'll give that a try. The chuck roast turned out well. I sliced and chopped it, mixed it with some sweet baby rays and made sandwiches. Very tasty.

Did you use the same rub you would on brisket or something specifically geared for the rib? Having recently left Austin and eaten at several of the "named" joints, their beef ribs were a little work to eat also. Maybe just the nature of the meat? Look great however!

Did you use the same rub you would on brisket or something specifically geared for the rib? Having recently left Austin and eaten at several of the "named" joints, their beef ribs were a little work to eat also. Maybe just the nature of the meat? Look great however!

Thanks. I actually used a rub I have concocted which I use on pork, chicken and now beef. Having now done beef ribs, I will through a dash of something else into the rub next time.

Back