• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Baking Soda Chicken

T

The Pickled Pig

After reading about Guy's success using baking soda on chicken I had to give it a try. I was skeptical throughout the entire process and thought I was snipe hunting more than once. But it's hard to argue with the results.

The skin was crispy but delicate enough to bite through easily. As an added bonus, the meat was as tender and juicy as any I've cooked.

1) Trimmed chicken, applied baking soda, and refrigerated for 24 hours

2.jpg

2) Rinsed, seasoned and grilled over direct heat for 25 minutes or so (180+ internal)

5.jpg

3) Skin was crispy

6.jpg

4) Chicken was delicious

7.jpg

I'll definitely try this technique again. But because of the timing, I'm not sure it's practical for contests. It might make sense to separate the skins and coat them with baking soda while marinating the meat.

Was there an aftertaste of the baking soda? I've never heard of using baking soda as a coating.

I did taste the baking soda but it was faint and neutral. Any sauce would have masked it completely. Even without the sauce, it wasn't a bad flavor...just a little different.

I have heard you can also use corn starch, I have never tried it. I read it somewhere a while back and forgot about until I saw this.

Corn Starch

I have heard you can also use corn starch, I have
never tried it. I read it somewhere a while back and forgot about until I saw this.

The Chinese use corn starch all the time to coat the meats prior to frying no after taste and a crisper crust is the result...check out most any good Chinese cook book and see for yourself..I've used it many times and it's great!!

dang, looks great! there was a recipe in cooks illustrated using baking soda on chicken then putting in fridge overnight. gonna have to try that.

After reading about Guy's success using baking soda on chicken I had to give it a try. I was skeptical throughout the entire process and thought I was snipe hunting more than once. But it's hard to argue with the results.

The skin was crispy but delicate enough to bite through easily. As an added bonus, the meat was as tender and juicy as any I've cooked.

1) Trimmed chicken, applied baking soda, and refrigerated for 24 hours

2.jpg

2) Rinsed, seasoned and grilled over direct heat for 25 minutes or so (180+ internal)

5.jpg

3) Skin was crispy

6.jpg

4) Chicken was delicious

7.jpg

I'll definitely try this technique again. But because of the timing, I'm not sure it's practical for contests. It might make sense to separate the skins and coat them with baking soda while marinating the meat.

Pig, I can't find the original post, can you post a link?

Man, that stuff looks spectacular. I'm adding the "baking soda" chicken to official "I've Got To Try That" List.

The Chinese use corn starch all the time to coat the meats prior to frying no after taste and a crisper crust is the result...check out most any good Chinese cook book and see for yourself..I've used it many times and it's great!!

i've used cornstarch several times mixed in with the dry rub, place in a gallon baggie, and shake-n-egg :biggrin:
results were always crispy skin

Back