MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #31
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbuddiesbbq View Post
I know every person has different money situations, but don't let an extra $75 a contest chase you away from one of the "luxuries" in life that you enjoy.

What else would you do for fun with that extra $75?
Exactly how I look at it as!

Great thing about Sam's is their credit card and they are more than willing to let you put stuff on it
This year I bought a case of brisket, which you save off per pound price, aged them and then froze them. Talk to the meat guys, they will give you case price on meats even though you do not buy a case Just gotta ask!!
I like to space my costs out over time versus within a week or so.....the weekend of a comp I have minimal costs

Old 03-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #32
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

last year I did 11 contests. This year with FBA and KCBS I will do 25-30. Of course I'll vend the majority of them. I now package the leftover pork and brisket into 1/2 pans for vending. Can add about $300 in sandwich sales without any cost of meat or cooking cost. I've already done 7 and last year at this time I was just doing my second. Will compete the next 5 weeks as well and vend at each one.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #33
dreed
Full Fledged Farker

We will do about the same number of comps, around 8 as last year, but plan on doing more vending to pay for the comps. Winning some $$ would certainly help as well. It also helps when the wife remains supportive despite the rising cost of the events.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #34
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

My dad (God rest his soul) used to tell me this story when I was young. Please take just a moment or two to read it. It says a lot about how you experience 'the economy'.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/7935...le-a-new-twist

For 2011 I am competing in more competitions and judging at more events than ever. Because it's what I love to do . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #35
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

We are going to cook 3 times as many as last years pitiful 2.
Our oldest child has a couple years left of college and then our Son is going to be starting college in 2 years. With that said, me being able to cook 6-8 contests this year is a stretch for sure. I have to win some $ back. I love the party and the people but I am out to win so look out. :)

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #36
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

We have lost a team member this year so now we are dividing things up 3 ways instead of 4 but aren't going to let it slow us down. I am lucky as I can work as much overtime as I want when I need to make extra money. I have hit it hard all winter in preparation for this summer. We have also found creative ways to make money doing BBQ related things to help offset costs. We were able to send in all of our entry fees for the year yesterday with that money and now each contest will only cost us about $50 each and we are happy with that. We have also found ways to cut down on what we need to bring to a comp. The biggest problem we are going to have this year is keeping gas in the two trucks we need for the 5th wheel and BBQ trailer. I guess my point is if you love doing it you will find away to make it happen. Even if you don't have enough money to handle a comp right now still go and enjoy yourself, I am sure there would be no shortage of Brethren that would welcome you in for a weekend!
-[URL="http://www.moocowbbq.com"]www.moocowbbq.com[/URL]-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-[B][COLOR=Blue]BLUE [/COLOR][/B]Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #37
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

This will be my rookie year competing. I have been helping a team for several years and now my wife and I are taking the plunge into competing. We plan on doing 4-6 contests this year. I am fortunate that I have many connection with businesses that I can get to sponsor me at the contests so I can get the entry fees paid and cover some if not all the meat cost. So the gas will be the big cost. Tough year to jump into competing with everything going on in the economy but you do what you have a passion for! If you see County Line Smokers out at a contest please stop by and say high!
stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

We will cook two contests in 2011
I had to drop most of em
Workin the day job two days a week :(
and catering way more than I used to,
mostly small parties of 100 ish
We are now cooking simple lunches at local churches Sunday services
Church start ups (church plants) are like a $1.00 a head
established churches are $5, very modest profit
it generates leads and I know WHO I am serving

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #39
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

I like this post I just came from the grocery store and I while I looked at the prices I thought "eat less exercise more."
We have 3 people that run the Mojobricks business. We started the biz in the spring of 2008 and have been hustling right along with everyone else. In our world its one roller coaster ride after another. If you have never started a business you should try it just so you can experience the agony of the whole thing 1st hand! This is the 1st year we are able to enter comps and the only reason I am doing it is to have fun!
If you do it for some other reason you probably will be better off elsewhere.

We certainly can't afford it but we have no choice as its the only way to get the product in front of you. I run the show on most fronts and my wife handles the books and the 3rd person is here when you need Him. Although,you can never find Him. Its the craziest thing He is elusive! The other thing is we have yet to ask Him for help we just know He is here. I have to say My wife and I are grateful for all the actual miracles that play out in front of our eyes - just watching everything unfold has given me hope - without the change! Thanks everyone for your posts - just remember you can take the cheapest piece of meat and turn it into something of fabulous flavor!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #40
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
Now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with these oxtails!
Send them to me!

Seriously, smoke them for a couple of hours. Then put them in a foil pan with some beef broth and sliced onions. Cover with foil and braise for another couple of hours.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote