MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Comp Pork butt Turn In

Help me out Brethren,

Just wondering some specifics on Pork Butt turn in. What do KCBS judges seem to like more, pulled (pulled thinner shreds including bark and meat mixed) , chunkier pulled (larger shreds of the money meat with bark only on top of shred), or sliced money meat? got a comp coming up and trying to nail down proper pork butt turn in. any and all info helps. should the pulled strips all have some coloring? thanks.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

I dont think it really matters how you place it the box as long as it look inviting to eat. I like it pulled, with semi-uniform chunks of bark on top.

focus on making it taste great, no matter how you turn it in...thats what really matters
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

What goes in the box varies by region. Where is the comp? Hopefully someone who competes in that area will be willing to help.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
NelsonC
On the road to being a farker

I think what judges seem to like more has part to do with regional preferences, and part to do how things come off the cooker. For example, down south people expect pulled, out west I think people tend to expect chunks and sliced. I tend to try to put a variety in my box. Also, sometimes you have to play to your cooking style and what came off the cooker. If you have overcooked meat, I try to keep the pieces in big chunks to make the meat seem less overcooked. If its undercooked, I try to shred it as much as I can to keep the judges from having to chew a lot to get through it. YMMV.
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
Logjammin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

IMO, you can never go wrong with golf ball sized chunks with bark on it in a big pile in the center of the box. Seems to play well just about anywhere.
Logjammin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Smokinwilly
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Carl
Default Smokinwilly's Competition Butt process (Pulled Pork)

I prefer, what I call putting' on a show in that box for the Judges. . I smoke a 9/11 lb butt (Why- Because you get a much larger and more flavorful money man end). (15/16 hours at 240/250*), I begin spraying a special mixture on the butt at 75* internal temp and do this every 15 minutes until the internal temp reaches 140*(Why? -Because from 75* to 140* is where you get your best smoke ring and dark bark). At 160* I pull the butt and put it in a large aluminum pan, apply a wrapping sauce, foil top of the pan and return it to the smoker. I pull at 204* internal temp and wrap in towels and place in a pre-heated cooler for a minimum of 2 hours. I remove the butt from the pan and put it back on the smoker and begin applying a sweet tangy glaze sauce. I do this for 20 to 30 minutes and then let the butt rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Then I slice off the moneyman end of the best looking butt down approx 3" deep. Lay it on my cutting board; holding it together and slice (6), 1-1/2 to 2" chunks making sure each chunk is same thickness. Then I place the whole sliced moneyman in the center of the box. I take another butt and pull approx 2 to 3" chunks from the money man end of the butt and lay six rows, 3 chunks to the row down the left side of the box so the bark and smoke ring are showing the same on each piece. On the right side of the box I place 2 to 3" chunks, of meat taken from the lower side of the bone (White meat-Very tender section) and layer it so you will have six rows down and 3 chunks across all the same as the left side, i.e., "Uniformanity".... I then apply a very tasty-tangy glaze sauce, not to sweet, where it won't overpower the smoked meat taste. . Important...Do not over glaze and leave puddles in the bottom of the box. Apply only enough to have a glossy shine!
Summary: Sorry all sprays and glaze sauce above are known only to me! Let me say this.... The final pull number on any size butt is 204* internal temp. Works for me! If you want to know more...e-mail me!
Smokinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stick with your best pork whatever it is. Pulled, chopped, or sliced. Don't put a style of pork in your box just for the sake of having it in the box. Use the best meat you have cooked regardless of what it is.

Now, some judges go off on a tangent and get all prissy when there isn't the type of meat they expect in the box. Some get all prissy if there isn't enough bark. Unfortunately, that is something to contend with. However, the judges that score based upon the amount of bark or the type of meat (pulled, sliced, chopped) are missing the mark, IMO.

Judges should judge the meat in the box regardless of how it has been cut or sliced.

I have judged boxes that had great pulled and lousy sliced. If the competitor had just left out the less than ideal sliced, they would have gotten a better score from me. I judge the meat. Bark, no bark, sliced, chopped, or a mix. Whatever is in the box will be judged fairly as long as it is pork shoulder or Boston butt. I try to keep my own biases, tastes, and expectations of bark or cut out of the equation.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

It doesn't matter what you turn in, as long as it isn't "sculpted" with any "pooling" of sauce.

What DOES matter to a judge is that the meat is cooked so that it is tender and not mushy. That is is flavorful and well balanced. And no matter which style you turn in, make it look like you at least tried to make it look delicious.

That's about it.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

All great advice. The comp is in Northeast PA and Im pretty sure they like a lot of their turnins to be sauced up. Although I prefer a mustardy vinegary sauce, I think I'll stick to a more sweet/tomatoey glaze. AS for the pulled pork, I'm glad there is more emphasis on taste/texture than show. Some good chunks with bark should do it.

Thanks Smokin Willy, for that info as well.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post

Judges should judge the meat in the box regardless of how it has been cut or sliced.

I agree, wished more judges would think this way! This is what its about anyway right?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Taste, Taste, Taste.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are cooking 2 butts or more, taste meat from each butt before starting your box build. I'd much rather go with a box of chunks and pulled from a great tasting butt over a bland butt that sliced really well.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

The best advice I have read of late is don't turn in a particular style or cut of meat just because you think you must to score well. Turn in the best meat possible be it the MM, blade, etc. If your MM bites (in a bad way) don't turn it in. Same thing with burnt end on brisket. IMHO most judges do score the overall entry as presented.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote