Stuffed Hamburgers: Innovation or Abomination?

Stuffed, unstuffed, broiled, boiled, grilled, smoked even microwaved. I will eat them any way you want to cook them. Uncooked Tartare is even better! Give me my ground beef, it's whats for dinner. Don't forget the cheese!

We grind Bacon into the burger and will make some select additions next burger run.

Stuffed, unstuffed, broiled, boiled, grilled, smoked even microwaved. I will eat them any way you want to cook them. Uncooked Tartare is even better! Give me my ground beef, it's whats for dinner. Don't forget the cheese!

Amen

Do not like.

• A quality burger is medium rare, not optimal for melting the fillings
  • I find the fillings get lost in the mix
  • You are limited in the amount of filling you can use, which helps contribute to the issue above
  • I like the texture and mouthfeel from the separate layers
  • In restaurant service they aren't as visually appealing
I took a meeting a few months ago with a guy trying to break into the market with a kobe beef burger product. Wanted TGJ to use them and help them get the word out about there product. He was in the process of purchasing machines to produce stuffed burger patties. I am guessing this is something you will be seeing pretty soon in grocery stores.

This is my idea of a great burger. If I am stuffing the cheese, it is going to be between 2 patties of awesomeness!

tailgatedouble800.jpg

tailgatedouble800.jpg

Outside of the occasional JuicyLucy I never have thought about it let alone seen them on the menu ( At least in the places I frequent) But I did see a Commercial on the idiot box where some chef of whom I have never herd was hawking a POS plastic gizmo to make them because (If you actually are gullible enough to believe it) Serves them in "His Restaurants".The Only thing I want in My Burger is more beef.

I was on the fence until Keith dropped the hammer. Nothing wrong with that pron at all.
Im with Jed. Ill eat them no matter what. Im a burger freak. I love all burgers equally (As long as we are talking about beef)

10 years ago I was doing all kinds to stuffed burgers and it was fun. But I have become a purist, Toasted bun, thin patties grilled hot to medium rare, special sauce (aioli of sorts), american cheese, onion, lettuce, and tomato... Pickle on the SIDE... Pretty much an in and out burger.

All sorts of fads, even mini burgers are fun. I am on a simple burger kick right now. I got a frozen wagyu patty from trader joes (2-pack 5.99$) I grilled it, added cheese, and put it on 4 connected Hawaiian buns. Slice and you now have 4 sliders. Came out good.

They are no abomination! I love a Juicy Lucy! Now a current trend I do think is an abomination is Knob Creek Maple or Crown Royal Maple. Taking these nice whiskeys and adding flavoring to them makes we want to crawl into the fetal position and cry like a baby.

10 years ago I was doing all kinds to stuffed burgers and it was fun. But I have become a purist, Toasted bun, thin patties grilled hot to medium rare, special sauce (aioli of sorts), american cheese, onion, lettuce, and tomato... Pickle on the SIDE... Pretty much an in and out burger.

In-n-out is cooked on a flat top but I totally get where you are coming from. In my burger hierarchy I've got flat top cooked burgers at the top, followed by grilled by charcoal/ mesquite, then broiled,and then its a fight for last place between microwaved, boiled, and baked.

What's funny is, right now I am trying to think of anything and everything to stuff into a burger. I've never stuffed a burger before and I gotta be unique when I do it the first time! Possibilities are endless :p, as mentioned.

Hrm I know: The Inverted Burger -- the bun INSIDE the burger! "Thinking outside of the bun".

Or the Recursive Burger: An entire burger--bun, cheese and all--stuffed inside of a burger. The Matryoshka Melt?

Seriously, there should be a stuffed burger throwdown if there hasn't been one already.

Last edited:
Juicy Lucy is sooooo last year...lets go back ol' skool...good quality grilled beePh,tomato,onion on white square toasted slices of bread....yummm!

connecticut-take-a-bite-out-of-the-original-hamburger-from-louis-lunch-in-new-haven-which-actually-comes-on-white-bread-not-a-bun.jpg

Seriously Phub......now I'm wanting burgers phor breakphast :hungry:

Juicy Lucy is sooooo last year...lets go back ol' skool...good quality grilled beePh,tomato,onion on white square toasted slices of bread....yummm!

connecticut-take-a-bite-out-of-the-original-hamburger-from-louis-lunch-in-new-haven-which-actually-comes-on-white-bread-not-a-bun.jpg
That is as fancy as I ever get.

I havent ever tried one before, but last saturday I picked up some from the local meat market - stuffed with bleu cheese and olives. Wifey got mushrooms & swiss.

Put them on the weber (overcooked slightly, but it was so cold out by the grill, I wasnt watching as close as I should have been.)

I really liked mine, not sure if I would ever buy a pre-stuffed one again. It was much bigger than I usually like.

If I do it again, I would make my own. Or just smoke a regular one with swiss like I usually do.

Back