• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami Seed Package

jonboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First time pastrami maker here,
Trying to follow the playing with smoke and fire recipe...:)
It is time to make the rub for the pastrami
The package that was send along with the corned beef, should that be included in the rub, or used in the soak or thrown out???
I picked the corned beef up from Kroger but don't know what exactly is in the seed package.
I need to get some coriander seeds to finish the rub.
That isn't what is in the package is it?

Thanks for the help,
jon
Hoping to smoke this tomorrow.

The package that was send along with the corned beef, should that be included in the rub, or used in the soak or thrown out???
I picked the corned beef up from Kroger but don't know what exactly is in the seed package.

Thanks for the help,
jon

If it's traditional, it should be in there. Go with it.

If I'm just cooking the corned beef in the oven (usually 300 degrees in a foiled over roasting pan) I let the flat sit on top of the packet ingredients so the spices can flavor the pan juices. When I did my pastrami, I just tossed it.

Thanks for the help,
jon

Jon,

If you've got the time, money, and skills... throw it out and do as they say.

But since it's your first time, consider dancin with who brung ya.

I guess that i will toss the seed package.
I was just curious what was in it....
Maybe i will use it for a cup of tea:)
jon

May just be me... but it never seems smart to throw out any usable spice. Who knows when a cook will go south, and you'll be scratchin for some variation, to apply a fix.

At least, throw it in the drawer. JMHO

Toss it. I did one using Thrideye's blog recipe. I just followed the recipe for the rub, it was killer. Why take a chance if you don't know how fresh or what exactly is in that packet of bird seed.

Google Pastrami. Last year after St. Paddy's day, I did and discovered it is NOT smoked corned beef. Yes there is a pickling process if started from scratch, but it is different.
What I learned, and did, was a modified pastrami. I took an already "corned" brisket flat, and through a process of washing off all spices, soaked it in fresh cold water and refrigerated, and changed the water many times over a week, to leech out the salt. When that was done, other spices were rubbed on to the brisket (lots of ground pepper and coriander, but NO SALT).
I recall that if a brisket was purchased with a "packet of spices" not incorporated already, to throw that away, and thus, eliminate the tedious leaching of those spices by the week-long soaking in fresh water.
The famous delicatessen pastrami's are cured in house from proprietary pickling solutions and baked in an oven and not smoked at all.
If you want a smoked cornet beef, go for it without the leaching process. But it will be too salty, and taste like, well, smoked corned beef.
If you want the more traditional pastrami taste, start from scratch with a good pickling recipe solution, followed by a pepper and coriander surface rub.

When I did my Pastrami (which everyon who tried it said they liked), the only "rub" I used was coarse ground black pepper....

Here is a prep picture
DSCN1645.jpg
and a couple of finished ones
DSCN1646.jpg
Pulled at 195 degrees
DSCN1647.jpg

I tossed the seed package as recommended and followed thirdeyes recipe plus the ginger,nutmeg and cloves.

There is a strong pepper taste, will use less next time.

I tried cutting the pastrami both ways, with and against grain and it seems more tender with the grain.

Next time i will score the brisket prior to rub and smoke.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,
jon

Very nice color and juiciness on that one. :thumb: Did you go with a straight cook on the grate only, or did you do a specific finish?

The picture looks like a corned round, was it one? Or just a really nice piece of brisket?

Package was labeled as kroger brand corned beef brisket point end
I rinsed and replaced fresh water for three days.
I smoked indirect on egg grate til 195 at 275 degrees.
I had planned on pulling off grill at 180 and got distracted
I think it could have cooked more without any problem.
Pretty happy for the first time
jon

Package was labeled as kroger brand corned beef brisket point end
I rinsed and replaced fresh water for three days.
I smoked indirect on egg grate til 195 at 275 degrees.
I had planned on pulling off grill at 180 and got distracted
I think it could have cooked more without any problem.
Pretty happy for the first time
jon

Well, that explains the thicker piece and the moisture. You got a good one. Corned points are hit and miss, sometimes they are really fatty.

Back