• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Couple of prelim questions...

Digi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will post before and after pics of my project in a new post this weekend, but I wanted to ask a few things for my seasoning run, and then if that goes well, my very 1st attempt at smoking something... EVER...

I have a Texas Smokemaster 22" X 40" w/ the firebox being 22" X 20".

With that said, I built an expanded metal basket roughly 15.5" X 15.5" x 12". pretty much as big as I could get the basket so as to fit through any opening...

Ok, now here's the questions:

1. using the minion method how much unlit charcoal (maybe inches wise) to lit charcoal?
2. also since it has no S pattern or dividers (yet) should I pour out a chimney of lit coals on top or cut out the bottom of a coffee can to place them in the corner with the unlit coals around them?
3. how long should the "seasoning" run take?
4. gonna spray down the insides with peanut oil. any other preparations?
5. i bought a maverick et-73, so i'm gonna use this during my "seasoning" run to learn to control air intake levels to maintain temp. i know to keep the exhaust fully open at all times, anything else i need to know in controlling the temp?
6. IF everything goes according to plan during the "seasoning", i plan to smoke something on sunday morning or sooner if i get the time. any recommendations on something that is "full proof" that i can't really mess up? i'd really like to do a butt as i've been dying for pulled pork, but would be really upset if i screwed it up somehow by being a beginner and getting in over my head.
7. any other tips or "watch out for's, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated.

and believe me, regardless of the outcome, my next post after everything will be heavily "pron'd"... LOL!

THANKS!
Brian

I burned my offset three times just to "learn it" over a period of
several days before it saw a piece of meat. Burn times lasted eight hours or more.
I took notes and learned a bunch!
Wasn't afraid at all when I threw on the first Brisket, I knew what the smoker was going to do even though, I was still nervous.
Don't open the lid and rely on the ET-73.:-D

Good luck Brian!

Weiser

I burned my offset three times just to "learn it" over a period of
several days before it saw a piece of meat. Burn times lasted eight hours or more.
I took notes and learned a bunch!
Wasn't afraid at all when I threw on the first Brisket, I knew what the smoker was going to do even though, I was still nervous.
Don't open the lid and rely on the ET-73.:-D

Good luck Brian!

Weiser
You got 8 hours on one load?

8hrs. on one 7lb. load.
Yep, it happens all the time.
12lbs. will go easily 14 hrs. Really.

Weiser
OK, I'm guessing that's a well built offset with no air leaks around the doors, right?

Digi, do yourself a favor and for your maiden voyage, do a pork butt and a couple of fatties...You will be a HERO!

Good Luck Brother...looking forward to the pron!

It is remarkably tight. The fit and finish on the doors is damned near perfect.
If it is windy, and it usually is here, burns won't last that long.

Weiser

OK, I'm guessing that's a well built offset with no air leaks around the doors, right?

Back