Pesto Stuffed Armadillo Eggs and Cosmic Slop (PRON and VID)

B

barbefunkoramaque

One Foot in Italian, the other in BBQ. One of my most popular dishes in a local deli. I never posted it here because the sound of the knife against cutting board in the beginning bothered me.

Enjoy the Recipe. I rarely make this except for catering now. I simply stuff one of those Prosciutto and Moz stuffed Cherry Peppers in the Egg now. These peppers come prestuffed at the store so its easier. It will not beat my Pesto stuffed ones though and it goes well with the Cosmic Slop (Spaghetti)

A note about the name cosmic slop. Units sold increased 25% just by renaming it. Apparently BBQ Spaghetti is easier to sell round here if it has a silly name.

Pesto Stuffed Armadillo Eggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6JR6woYDk8

Sauce for the Cosmic Slop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rERFZfEUc

Yes, that is the mythical Popdaddy (me) in the song Rock Hard in a Funky Place and at the very end of the sauce vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blow Maceo!!

Those look nice!

So, If you add bread crumbs to the Armadillo Eggs, do they break down or not hold together well in the smoker? The sausage grind looked coarser than a Jimmy Dean, have you ever made them with a beef/pork sauasage grind? I kinda got burned out on meatballs as a kid, but always thought Armadillo Eggs would make great meatball w/spaghetti.

For some reason I can't get this tune out of my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WltIx6JkYLo&feature=related

Yeah I used fresh ground sausage from my butcher. Large ground chunks too.

Here was the result the first time I added seasoning and bread crumbs... my son is hilarious.

D I S A S T E R

Now some add stuff but seasoning and breadcrumbs added to the meat PLUS this pesto stuff and its too salty and spicy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v342OMn4iAM

Asking Mr. Kick, (that's me) he says "why didn't you just post the recipe?
Mr. Kick can't stay on you tube all damn night long.....

Okay I got clearance. Apparently Mr Kick knows Popdaddy.

Combine In Food Chopper and Macerate

One Archie Bell (pepper Red in this case)
One Bunch of Prince (Green Onions, everything but the roots in this case)
REMOVE THE RUBBER BAND

Chop fine as in Video and set aside

Smash Rick James (Garlic) in the face and dice him up real good and set aside

I/Q Soffrito

To Hot pan add Olive oil

Play a little Heatwave to the Pepper Mixture add a sprinkle of George Clinton

Make a well and add the secret Blob (watch and see at 2:36 if you know what it is)

When the Mixture becomes a little translucent make another well and add olive oil and that Rick James - When you smell the funk add Bootsy Collins Flakes and Make it Funky but within the Well

When you got Translucent Rick James Make it funky with the rest and push mixture to one side.

Oil Exposed side and Add 1/4 Cup Chopped Cilantro and 1/4 Cup Italian Parsley (Which should never be used for Garnish)

Make a well and Toast some BBQ Sauce in the Center. 3/4 Coffee Cup Measure of Butt Glitter Sprinkle (or your rub)

Let it Break into a Cold Sweat a Bit

Add Fresh Rind of Tito Puente
1/4 Tsp of Larry Graham
1/4 Tsp of Ground out Fennel Seed (Shoot I ain't got no name for that)
Make it Funky and add Cheese (I Know I don't do this in the Video and instead add layers of cheese but its easier to just add the cheese and mix)

Stuff inside sausage and introduce it to a Dark Closet and some Sam Cooke (200-225) an hour then play the "B" side for another hour.

Serve on Cosmic Slop with Popdaddy's Beale Street Red and Wett or your BBQ Sauce

and I added pron as well

another tip, i MIX THE CHEESE IN and then pack in some Ice Cube Trays and Freeze. Don't Pack just lay a little Ball in there. Put One ball for meatballs two balls for Armadillo eggs in there.

Don't be tempted to add seasoning to the meat, except as I did in the video... the pesto adds the flavor

I'd eat 1 or 4 of those! :-D

But ... where is the "Italian" "Pesto", normally made with fresh basil, pine nuts, and garlic? :confused:

Well I knew y'all would ask... got the Garlic, I mention I got one of my feet in Italian and the other in BBQ, hence an I/Q sofrito. The sofrito aids the in the overall taste of the pesto. The paste is heavy in Lime Rind, Italian Parsley and Cilantro, kind of like an IMEX meets BBQ. LOL

Now I am sure you have seen lots of recipes claiming to be Pesto but have other ingredients.
Spinach or roasted Peppers comes to mind. But I am using the word pesto from Italian, specifically from past participle of pistare, or to pound. That's what that chopper did.

So... In essence it is still a pesto of macerated spices.

Oh and I tried it with real pesto... it sucks. LOL

Oh, you can switch to Green Bell Pepper or hotter if you like green and want to make it look like more of a pesto too.

I'd eat 1 or 4 of those! :-D

But ... where is the "Italian" "Pesto", normally made with fresh basil, pine nuts, and garlic? :confused:

Back