MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Default Side dishes for a smoked ham?

I am planning on taking my ECB to UW Lot 60 and smoking a ham for the upcoming tailgate party.

I am planning on hitting the local farmer's market Saturday morning before hitting the parking lot. If we are going to drink all day, may as well have a few veggies (I guess).

However, besides the ham, what else should I serve to my tailgating guests....................

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

My sides would be brisket, chicken, fatties, and sausage. Oh wait, wrong kinda sides.

Farmers Market.............roasted corn and squash come to mind right away. Maybe some heirloom 'matos with a balsamic and sugar marinade and fresh basil.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Smoke some sweet potatoes with that ham. A little butter, brown sugar, garlic, and chipotle - you'll be stylin'.
Maybe some pineapple slices. I like the prvious idea of squash (believe it or not, it was smoked squash that really got me into this obsession)
Some canned collard green wouldn't suck.
Of course, you know you can't have ham without scalloped potatoes. After all, you are partially Norwegian.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Smoke some sweet potatoes with that ham. A little butter, brown sugar, garlic, and chipotle - you'll be stylin'.
Maybe some pineapple slices. I like the prvious idea of squash (believe it or not, it was smoked squash that really got me into this obsession)
Some canned collard green wouldn't suck.
Of course, you know you can't have ham without scalloped potatoes. After all, you are partially Norwegian.
Collards would NOT suck at all. Collards with bacon and northern beans is a dang good combo.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

A half sheet pan of the most incredible Smoked Mac-n-Cheese you'll ever try.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Well, I think that twice baked sweet potatoes are in as one side. I plan to wrap the sweet taters in foil and let them do their thing for a few hours, then pull them off of the grate, empty out their insides, mix in a couple pats (or pounds) of butter, a little brown sugar, and crushed pineapple - then sprinkle a few peecans on top and put em back on the grill for a bit longer while the ham is carved.

Then for another side - I am thinking about a cold salmon/apple salad served in a 'flowered' tomato.

So far - other than myself - I haven't found anyone that would eat squash.................but I have a few more emails out to justify buying & cooking some.

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen

Old 10-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRI_Guy View Post
Well, I think that twice baked sweet potatoes are in as one side. I plan to wrap the sweet taters in foil and let them do their thing for a few hours
Skip the foil. Smoke 'em straight.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
BobBrisket

That salmon salad sounds killer!!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

How about sweet tater hashed browns? I cube the sweet taters and then pan fry them with some Lawry's seasoned salt and a little chipotle powder for a slight heat.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Keri's Hog Apple Beans!!....that's a natural combo w/ ham!!....Oh, and sorry in advance for the loss to Penn State.....bring more beer....
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
That salmon salad sounds killer!!
Tomatoes stuffed with Apple Salmon salad

1 tart red apple - cored & diced
lemon juice
1 cup cooked peas
dash salt
1/2 c Mayo
1 half pint jar salmon drained
4-6 tomatoes
Leafy green lettuce
1 hard boiled egg - sliced
Old bay seasoning

After dicing apples - sprinkle lemon juice on top (about 1 TBSP). Add peas, dash salt & mayo. Stir to mix. Fold in drained/skinned salmon. Chill for a couple of hours.

If desired - skin tomatoes by scalding, shocking and peeling(my grandfather did this - but I don't. Unskinned tomatoes keep their shape better in my opinion). Chill until ready to serve.

REmove stems from tomatoes, and cut 3/4 of the way through from the non stem side into 6-8 wedges. Open the 'flowered' tomato on a bed of leafy green lettuce.

Add scoop of salmon mixture to center of each tomato. Garnish with sliced hard boiled egg and a sprinkle of old bay seasoning.

One tomato per guest or 2-3 for each salmon fiend..............

I am also considering Brussels Sprouts in a Mustard Sauce as a side dish - only because these looked pretty cool at the farmer's market last weekend.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

I am going to keep this as simple as possible. And this is also a home fav.

GREEN BEANS
MASHED POTATOES
bread.

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote