Pellet Smokers.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Pellet Smokers Users?

I've been lurking around trying to get up to speed here. Lot's of good reading! My question is regarding My Treager made pellet smoker. (My Son has an offset New Braunfels smoker when I get really serious). Mine has only the 3 position switch for 3 preset temps. During this time of year the smoke setting runs at about 180 degrees. What temp do You folks like to smoke at for brisket? Would You upgrade to the digital temp controller or this good enough?

Last edited:
That temp is not quite hot enough. From personal experience I get the best results cooking between 225 and 240. You want the internal temp of the brisket to get to 185-190 before you pull it off to rest. Someone with more experience will come along shortly that may have a different idea.

For reference I smoked a pork butt last Sunday. I kept the smoker on low and it took about 10 or 11 hours. It came out just right. I smoked a huge Round something or other that My Wife came home with (She said they didn't have any brisket) for 13 hours and it was done (no pink) but tough. If I had an idea how long it should take for say a 7lb pork butt or briskett I'd know if I need to upgrade.

Also I forgot that the temp tends to fluctuate as high as 230 but seems to spend more time at 180.

I don't have a pellet smoker, just to get that out of the way first.

But most guys will put it on that low setting at the beginning... and after a few hours will turn it up. That low temp makes the pellets smolder a little more, and you get a better smoke ring, then they turn it up to more traditions bbq temps... 225-240 or whatever you like.

getting a digital dial will improve things allot for you. I have a traeger myself, and really like it, I use some still even I have a FEC. allot of Traeger owners will tell you that like a oven, it will wonder around of the temps, but I only got around 10 degrees, after I got a digital dial. please tell us what Traeger you have please?

Thanks

For reference I smoked a pork butt last Sunday. I kept the smoker on low and it took about 10 or 11 hours. It came out just right. I smoked a huge Round something or other that My Wife came home with (She said they didn't have any brisket) for 13 hours and it was done (no pink) but tough. If I had an idea how long it should take for say a 7lb pork butt or briskett I'd know if I need to upgrade.

My pork butts go in at 180 for 7 hours, then up to 265 for another 8.

I have every intention of getting a digital dial when the time is right. I was just curious what temp other Guys and Gals were smoking at.

jbrink01, that's about the temps My pellet smoker runs at in low and medium settings. How many butts would You be smoking in that scenario?

agentmichael, I have a Smith & Wesson .38 Special. I'm pretty sure it's made by Traeger and is equivalent to Their Lil Tex.

I have every intention of getting a digital dial when the time is right. I was just curious what temp other Guys and Gals were smoking at.

jbrink01, that's about the temps My pellet smoker runs at in low and medium settings. How many butts would You be smoking in that scenario?

agentmichael, I have a Smith & Wesson .38 Special. I'm pretty sure it's made by Traeger and is equivalent to Their Lil Tex.

I do the Pellet Thang.

With the controller you have--just put it on 180/smoke for 2-4 hours.
This lays on the smoke flavor and all of that.

Then, crank the heat up to actually cook the meat.
250 or more works just fine.

JMHO.

TIM

Back