MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
buckinbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Rubs and Sauces

Good Sunday morning to all. I am new to the site and have competed in a few competitions. I am in awe at folks who can come up with their own rubs and sauces. My question is this. How in the world do you come up with the rubs and sauces? I am not sure even where to start. Or is it just as good to use bought rubs and what not? Any advice would be appreciated.
buckinbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Jeremiah
is one Smokin' Farker

Experimentation! Find out what you like/dislike.

Start simple, start with just salt and pepper. See what you like and dislike about it. Next time add some cayenne and/or garlic. The less you modify it each time the better, this will help you scope in on the effects of your changes. Look at the ingredients of commercial rubs that you like, try and isolate the flavors you are enjoying. Add them to your rub.

Just play around and have fun, before you know it you'll have your "go to" all purpose rub, your brisket rub, your rib rub, your chicken rub, etc.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

I just start putting different things together in small batches and sample it. I made a lot of things that I didn't like and vice verse. Small batches work best so you don't waste product. One thing you want to do when making rubs and sauces is take very good notes so you know what you did and what Quantities.
I have thrown things together and not taken notes and never been able to do the same rub. I have bought a lot of different spices and I taste and smell them to see what I think they would go good with. It's a lot of trial and error but I find it satisfying to make my own. Also there are a lot of store bought rubs and sauces that are real good to.
We have alot of members that make and sell there own stuff I use there stuff all the time.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Experimentation! Find out what you like/dislike.

Start simple, start with just salt and pepper. See what you like and dislike about it. Next time add some cayenne and/or garlic. The less you modify it each time the better, this will help you scope in on the effects of your changes. Look at the ingredients of commercial rubs that you like, try and isolate the flavors you are enjoying. Add them to your rub.

Just play around and have fun, before you know it you'll have your "go to" all purpose rub, your brisket rub, your rib rub, your chicken rub, etc.
Excellent advice.

The first thing I found important is to know what different spices/herbs taste like, both when they are cooked and uncooked.

I took several rub recipes from Dr BBQ and Mike Mills and made them up. I then took the recipes and made small batches, leaving out a one ingredient in each batch.

I then cut brisket flat in small strips and rubbed the strips down with different rubs. After smoking them I was able to taste the differences with each batch. The meat is a little tough, but it still has the flavor.

This taught (is teaching) me what the different flavor profiles are.

It might be seem a little over the taught but it's actually quite fun. And if you don't know what things taste like, it helps.

I'm in the process now of developing a rub from the flavors I like and I'm hoping it works out down the road. It's a long process for sure.

I don't know how long it took Spice and Plowboy, as an example, to develop some of their stuff but if it's got to be worth it.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Get basic like scott says. Salt, pepper, raw sugar, a few spices like chili pepper, and garlic,. My 10 yo makes his own recipe for brisket. Thats how simple it can be.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
parrothead

Don't be afraid, just go for it. If it comes out bland or a little off, chop up whatever you cooked and toss it in a batch of chili.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #7
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Excellent advice.

The first thing I found important is to know what different spices/herbs taste like, both when they are cooked and uncooked.

I took several rub recipes from Dr BBQ and Mike Mills and made them up. I then took the recipes and made small batches, leaving out a one ingredient in each batch.

I then cut brisket flat in small strips and rubbed the strips down with different rubs. After smoking them I was able to taste the differences with each batch. The meat is a little tough, but it still has the flavor.

This taught (is teaching) me what the different flavor profiles are.

It might be seem a little over the taught but it's actually quite fun. And if you don't know what things taste like, it helps.

I'm in the process now of developing a rub from the flavors I like and I'm hoping it works out down the road. It's a long process for sure.

I don't know how long it took Spice and Plowboy, as an example, to develop some of their stuff but if it's got to be worth it.
Good advice, Larry....I also think, like Jeremiah mentioned, that looking at recipes of products that you already like and trying to build off the ingredients is a good way to give yourself a sense of direction. Then you can start to tweak things to your satisfaction....taking notes along the way so you know what worked and what didn't, and how to replicate the ones that work....Same things with recipes from books by known 'winners' like Dr. BBQ, Mike Mills and Paul Kirk....etc...

Make small adjustments each time-- if you change too much, you may not be able to tell which adjustment really made the difference......most importantly, have fun!

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Plowboy

One thing I learned from Bill (PayDaBill) is to taste each ingredient on its own so you know how to taste for it in your rub.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

I usually start with a written recipe. Then I add or take away what I like or dislike. My main dry rub, is 5 years in the making. It always evolves as I make it.

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I started by getting a couple different recipe books (Steve Raichlen's Sauces, Rubs and Marinades is great for this) and trying the different recipes, and just experiment from there.

Also, remember, there are no bonus points for using your own recipes -- it's not like the judges can tell. They just want it to taste good. :-)

Erik

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #11
buckinbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Man I appreciate this information. This is great advise. Thanks
buckinbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque book is very good for learning about building sauces and rubs. i compare it to learning the theory behind the final product.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
allboy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
I started by getting a couple different recipe books (Steve Raichlen's Sauces, Rubs and Marinades is great for this) and trying the different recipes, and just experiment from there.

Also, remember, there are no bonus points for using your own recipes -- it's not like the judges can tell. They just want it to taste good. :-)

Erik
Steve Raichlen's Sauces, Rubs and Marinades is a great book. This will get you pointed in the right direction.
allboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I can tell you that alot of rub hit the trash before I found the right blend that would work with my sauce. Just keep plugging away at it and by all means write everything down.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

When you get a very basic rub down.....divide it up before a cook and try to add different indredients or different quantities of them....now you have a side/side comparison
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote