Fire bricks for the offset

T

Tough old man

I have my cooking chamber now built. I had a 30 gal air tank I was going to use as for the offset. After cutting it open yesterday discovered its thickness is only 20 gauge. way to thin.

So my next plan is to build a fire pit connecting to the side of the cooking chamber via 2 6" pipes. If the fire pit is big enough, would this work? Also would the end where wood is added need to be partial close or could it be wide open?

Thanks for all those helping me in my new and first time smoker project.

you could do that.. but if possible consider a Half moon shaped opening.. you will get a better draft that way.. The way you are describing is good also.. but if you are building a traditional offset only.. if you are building a reverse flow.. thats a long route for the smoke to go.. and it may not draft properly without the half moon or rectangular opening..

you could do that.. but if possible consider a Half moon shaped opening.. you will get a better draft that way.. The way you are describing is good also.. but if you are building a traditional offset only.. if you are building a reverse flow.. thats a long route for the smoke to go.. and it may not draft properly without the half moon or rectangular opening..
Half moon opening it shall be. Thanks for the tip. I'll build some sort of door for it also and make sure it's vented. Will a door even be necessary is done as you subscribe?

The cooking chamber is going to be a reverse flow. my measurement were off on my last post. It's an old air tank. 66" x 21" x 3/8" thick

Pic's well let see what I can do

Attachments

• Smoker.jpg
    Smoker.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 46
Back