MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #91
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
You are obviously free to wrap in paper whenever you want, but in keeping with the "theme" of this thread I do believe Aaron wraps his during the cook, at least that's what he says in one of the videos posted here. I do believe you will like what the paper does for your bark if you wrap at some point during your cook. What's your target temp?

Do you have to refuel your UDS at any point? I wouldn't hesitate to smoke that turkey at 325+, it may help you avoid rubbery skin and shave some time off your cook.
I was thinking of adding more fuel just prior to putting the turkey on...

** Sorry all for hi-jacking the thread a little.
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #92
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would not use the celery salt I would use celery seed and grind it to a powder, then add a tiny amount if I added any at all. I do not care for the celery component in beef rubs at all. If I assume you are going to use the celery salt no matter what...1/2 part celery salt and 1/2 part salt. Celery salt is mostly salt anyways.

Although I use commercial rubs, if I am making my own, I want to control each element, thus, I do not use combo spices and herbs, I add what I want of each. Salt and pepper are the most important elements of this.

A very simple rub for brisket
3 parts Redmond Real Kosher Salt
2 parts black Pepper, ground to a medium grind, no fines
1 part each of organic onion granules and garlic granules
1/8 part Natural sugar, finely ground

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #93
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

guys..

hate to take all the fun out of here.. but..

Aaron Franklins briskets are cooked NO DIFFERENTLY than most of us..

his target temperature zones are wide, and he doesnt pay that much attention to them.. 250-270-- even 300+ degree spikes.. he doesnt care. He just cooks.... just like us, and his rubs are simple rubs. What he does that most of us dont... is he KNOWS briskets.

How do I know this?.. I got the lessons..i cooked with him for 2 days in NYC last week at Meatopia. Back in June, I got a call from a friend who needed someone to help his 'friend' who was coming here to cook and needed hands and equipment.. so I agreed and told him to pass on my number, and the next day i got a call from Aaron Franklin.

i went down to the venue with a double barrel lang 84.. we were given a load of oak and a little cherry.. Aaron had a box with his knives, some terrycloth rags and a roll of butcher paper. He mixed his rub right there.. very simple as he traveled light. We had to prep and cook 50 briskets for service 4PM Saturday. We started 8Pm Friday night.

he trimmed like we do...
he rubbed like we do...
he put the briskets in the pit just like we do..
and he loosly maintained temps... not too concerned about where.. 250-275...290...300... 260.... whatever..the only time he got concerned was when grease caught fire on the deflector plate and started toasting some of the briskets on the bottom shelf. Otherwise.. hes cooks anywhere within the range..

whats different?..... he looks at a brisket, listens to it.. picks it up, feels it, puts it down moves it to different spots...makes determinations..based on what he sees and feels... not once... not a single one... of the 50 briskets ever saw a thermaopen or a probe.. (he had a lime green one that sat in his knife case..never took it out..) he would glance at the pit temp and control airflow by cracking the door to the pit and never touched a damper.. he said his pits in austin dont have dampers on the doors, just the exhaust.. and he controls air with the doors and he controls smoke with how he builds his fires.. he wraps in butcher paper like everyone sees in the videos and he returns to the pit.. and its done when he picks it up, feels it with a squeeze and says.. this ones done, this one needs another 30 minutes, this one needs some higher heat(and moves it closer to the firebox)... he goes by feel.. that is IT.. no magic.... experience... many of us can pick up a rack of ribs, and know if its done by look and feel.. judging the firmness of the meat and the bend to the rack.. and thats how he is with briskets.. he feels it and just knows..

On saturday, after cookign 50 briskets, on a cooker he has never used before, and with nothing in the way of supplies except his knives and a cutting board... he was the one with the line that never ended..Even during a storm, folks never left the line.. and on top of it all..he walks away with the title of Meatopia Grand Champion, leading out over 49 other professional cooks, including APL and and an Iron Chef..

How'd he do it??.. he knows briskets.. period... there is nothing special.. no secrets, no magic ingredient.. chit, he won using completely different wood than he normally uses... he goes by feel, and consistency.. he cooks 1400 lbs a day.. think about it..... thats 90+ briskets A DAY! I dont do that in 2 years. We can analyze this until we are blue in the face..

Franklins briskets are the result of experience..thats it... its not temps, hold times, not the rubs and he does not sauce(he serves sauce on the side to dip).

its simply his experience... so if you want to duplicate his product.. start cookin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-09-08_20-26-58_15.jpg (61.2 KB, 528 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #94
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks 'ole Grand PooBah!!! Just reaffirms the K.I.S.S. approach and experience does more for you than any seasoning or pit can!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #95
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
Thanks for sharing the vids, ive never seen brisket jiggle like that. The Franklin videos were very informative, I like his simplistic approach and rub.

There seems to be a lot of negative energy when I see posts from Pitmaster T. Not trying to take sides or get in the middle of anything.... just my two cents.

My impression of some people.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #96
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Wow, somehow comments 1, 3,4,5, are all gone now?

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #97
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
its simply his experience... so if you want to duplicate his product.. start cookin.
That's it in a nutshell!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #98
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
guys..

hate to take all the fun out of here.. but..

his target temperature zones are wide, and he doesnt pay that much attention to them.. 250-270-- even 300+ degree spikes.. he doesnt care. He just cooks.... just like us, and his rubs are simple rubs. What he does that most of us dont... is he KNOWS briskets.

How do I know this?.. I got the lessons..i cooked with him for 2 days in NYC last week at Meatopia. Back in June, I got a call from a friend who needed someone to help his 'friend' who was coming here to cook and needed hands and equipment.. so I agreed and told him to pass on my number, and the next day i got a call from Aaron Franklin.

i went down to the venue with a double barrel lang 84.. we were given a load of oak and a little cherry.. Aaron had a box with his knives, some terrycloth rags and a roll of butcher paper. He mixed his rub right there.. very simple as he traveled light. We had to prep and cook 50 briskets for service 4PM Saturday. We started 8Pm Friday night.

he trimmed like we do...
he rubbed like we do...
he put the briskets in the pit just like we do..
and he loosly maintained temps... not too concerned about where.. 250-275...290...300... 260.... whatever..the only time he got concerned was when grease caught fire on the deflector plate and started toasting some of the briskets on the bottom shelf. Otherwise.. hes cooks anywhere within the range..

whats different?..... he looks at a brisket, listens to it.. picks it up, feels it, puts it down moves it to different spots...makes determinations..based on what he sees and feels... not once... not a single one... of the 50 briskets ever saw a thermaopen or a probe.. (he had a lime green one that sat in his knife case..never took it out..) he would glance at the pit temp and control airflow by cracking the door to the pit and never touched a damper.. he said his pits in austin dont have dampers on the doors, just the exhaust.. and he controls air with the doors and he controls smoke with how he builds his fires.. he wraps in butcher paper like everyone sees in the videos and he returns to the pit.. and its done when he picks it up, feels it with a squeeze and says.. this ones done, this one needs another 30 minutes, this one needs some higher heat(and moves it closer to the firebox)... he goes by feel.. that is IT.. no magic.... experience... many of us can pick up a rack of ribs, and know if its done by look and feel.. judging the firmness of the meat and the bend to the rack.. and thats how he is with briskets.. he feels it and just knows..

On saturday, after cookign 50 briskets, on a cooker he has never used before, and with nothing in the way of supplies except his knives and a cutting board... he was the one with the line that never ended..Even during a storm, folks never left the line.. and on top of it all..he walks away with the title of Meatopia Grand Champion, leading out over 49 other professional cooks, including APL and and an Iron Chef..

How'd he do it??.. he knows briskets.. period... there is nothing special.. no secrets, no magic ingredient.. chit, he won using completely different wood than he normally uses... he goes by feel, and consistency.. he cooks 1400 lbs a day.. think about it..... thats 90+ briskets A DAY! I dont do that in 2 years. We can analyze this until we are blue in the face..

Franklins briskets are the result of experience..thats it... its not temps, hold times, not the rubs and he does not sauce(he serves sauce on the side to dip).

One of the best posts I've read on this board. Thanks

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #99
landarc

Well, this sucks, I was hoping for a magic bullet, some secret trick that would make me a great brisket cook. You mean to tell me I have to actually cook? Well, foo, I am going back to boiling ribs!

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #100
landarc

I don't own a Thermapen, I don't ever take an internal temperature, I don't always cook a good brisket.

But, I can see that I am learning right.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #101
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Ok, great post. I get nothing beats experience on the pit. So let me ask you this, what kind of briskets did you guys cook out there? Did everybody cook the same type of brisket?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #102
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

So the good news is: since I want to be selling brisket at a farmers market or roadside stand in a bout a year and a half (conservative estimate) I guess I need to buy a brisket every weekend I'm off (every other weekend due to work) and get cookin!

I can get choice packers from a local guy for $2.85 a lb consistently...best I can do where im at. Time to get dialed in!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #103
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Ok, great post. I get nothing beats experience on the pit. So let me ask you this, what kind of briskets did you guys cook out there? Did everybody cook the same type of brisket?
The briskets were all creakstone farms premium. They looked like prime or high choice.

This was not a bbq contest. The only rule was the protein had to be cooked with a wood or charcoal fire. The chefs get to cook whatever they consider their "specialty" and the event covers the cost. I believe The winner is picked like a peoples choice.. where the public pays an admission fee and can sample from any or all of the 50 chefs and then votes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #104
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
The briskets were all creakstone farms premium. They looked like prime or high choice.

This was not a bbq contest. The only rule was the protein had to be cooked with a wood or charcoal fire. The chefs get to cook whatever they consider their "specialty" and the event covers the cost. I believe The winner is picked like a peoples choice.. where the public pays an admission fee and can sample from any or all of the 50 chefs and then votes.
When I went to Franklins back in July, I saw people taking food to go in Creekstone boxes. Those are high dollar briskets, he must get a volume discount or something. I bet you had a great time, even though you worked your a** off. Wish I could of been there.. Thanks for sharing this story!
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #105
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

creekstone also sells other grades of brisket... mostly choice, there is a food purveyor close that can get me creekstone but they are about 12 lb packers...