BBQ'd today, eating tomorrow -- pull today or tomorrow?

S

SmokerTim

OK, 1 last question for the Brethren today.

I'm smoking 20 pound of pork butt goodness right now. But I am not serving it till 5 or 6 tomorrow.

What say you - pull it today, or pull it tomorrow?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Will you have the ability to reheat them tomorrow? If so, leave them whole and reheat tomorrow. If not, pull em and store.

If they get done around around 11 or noon, wrap them immediately and keep em warm all wrapped up snug in a warm cooler. If they get done earlier, pull, chill and reheat.

For those who say pull tomorrow, what is ur recommended method of re-heating the butts?

Pull tomorrow but don't hold meat hot for longer than 4-5 hours. Reheat in oven wrapped in foil or back on smoker wrapped in foil. Pull it as close to dinner time as possible. Good Luck!!

Wait as long as you can to pull, it will dry out faster if pulled.

When the butts are done and cool enough to handle pull the bone out. Much easier to refrigerate that way. Pull tomorrow cold then reheat. Very little moisture lost this way.

I always try and pull the pork the same day I cook it. Then I either pan it up and foil it for safe keeping in a iced cooler or fridge or cool it and bag it up.

In your case I would have pulled the pork while hot, panned up in foil 1/2 pans (easier to store and manage in general) covered in foil. Make sure you put plenty of that strained juice goodness back in...it ought to be pretty wet. A couple of hours before serving I'd fire up the OVEN (unless momma is using it) and heat the pans up at 350 or so until 165.

But, that's just the way I'd do it. Your mileage will vary. :mrgreen:

I'd pull it after resting, put in either vacu pak or freezer ziplocs and keep in fridge. When ready to re-heat, drop bags in simmering water for a few minutes, cover, turn off heat, wait 10 minutes, and it's perfect for serving.

I like the vacuum-pack, chill/freeze and reheat in boiling water method for a 2-person serving. But we had about 20 here for dinner.

I ended up pulling the meat after letting it rest 30 minutes. Mixed in sauce and put in 2 half-pans then into refrigerator. Next day put a bunch in a covered heavy cast iron pan on the stove. Worked out pretty well.

Best part - everyone loved it! :thumb:

Back