MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
smokejackson
Found some matches.

Default First cook on stick-burner and thoughts from a novice

I was planning to update a previous thread but I had a lot more to talk/ask about so I decided it would be more relevant to begin another. In my previous thread, I stated that I would be cooking on a stick-burner for the first time, which I did this past Sunday. My other BBQ cooks have been done on a 22'' WSM and a medium BGE.

The meat of choice was an 11lb brisket from Cost Co. It was a USDA Prime whole packer. It was a hot and fast brisket based on Bludawg's recipe. Salt, pepper, 4 hours at 300...fat cap down...point towards firebox, wrap in butcher paper...fat cap up, 1-2 more hours until probes like butter. Rest for 2 hours in paper.

Here is my pop's smoker. Pretty solid hunk of steel. It wasn't air tight but it did a fine job.

Here are pictures of the finish product.

The first cut of the flat, below the point was money. Sooo good. The furthest end of the flat was pretty tough. If I could, I would have left it on for another hour (probably pulled after 5 hours) but I was being rushed and had to bring it to another location. As everyone had advised me...START EARLY!

The point, was even better. I don't have pictures of it because I saved it for dinner the next night but I just sliced it up and enjoyed the extra fatty goodness.

==================

Thoughts

(Bottom line, I was thrilled with the results. My first ever brisket was pretty bad. But I would like to share my thoughts to get better and help others)

I haven't been doing real BBQ for very long...smoking and fire building are concepts I don't have 100% grasp of. Especially the parts about building a clean fire, thin blue smoke, etc.

My process in starting this fire was laying some lump charcoal in the bottom of the fire box, 3 large pieces. Then I lit a full chimney of Kingsford and poured it on top of the lump. Finally I threw in 3 large pieces of pecan wood and let the smoker come up to temp. It took a while, but when it did, everything in the fire box had charred over and was black.

From then, temperature maintenance was a process of adding another piece of wood every 30 or so minutes. After a couple of hours, one piece wasn't enough so I'd add two or three to get a little over the target temperature of 300 and bring it back down around there.

The biggest thing is I don't know if what I'm doing is 100% correct. From my research you want the TBS which I got before putting on the meat. But once the temp starts to trend down, I add wood, and I'll get a burst of chalky smoke. That should be fine I assume?

Comparing this cook to the cooks on the WSM, I always feel like I have trouble achieving the TBS that people advocate. It seemed much easier on the offset. Maintaining the temperature on the WSM is no problem though. Cooking on the stick-burner is definitely not a "set it and forget it" affair. That being said, I do see the appeal of tending to a fire...I just can't put a finger on it.

Moving forward, I would like to try to cook more on my dad's smoker. I'm planning to do two briskets this NYE so hopefully that goes well. I can only imagine based on the set up, that the one closest to the firebox will cook much more quickly.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. And please add to the discussion, so we can all benefit
smokejackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ya cook lt a lil longer 6hrs +\-. Some say to put splits on top of firebox to preheat them. You'll always get some white smoke when adding split.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Nice first cook Try putting you wood on top of the smoker so they warm up That will help you keep that TBS
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
peeps

Looks and sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp of it...it help to preheat the splits before adding them to the fire and to keep the firebox door open until it "bursts" into flames shortly after adding it to the coals. To preheat with that pit, keep a couple or a few resting on that flat spot on the FB lid, flipping them as needed since it is cold out.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Looks and sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp of it...it help to preheat the splits before adding them to the fire and to keep the firebox door open until it "bursts" into flames shortly after adding it to the coals. To preheat with that pit, keep a couple or a few resting on that flat spot on the FB lid, flipping them as needed since it is cold out.
I have an old metal baking pan that I put over the wood heating on the fiorebox lid, it holds the heat in well in the winter time
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I have an old metal baking pan that I put over the wood heating on the fiorebox lid, it holds the heat in well in the winter time
Well there ya go! Earl's configuration is a bit different than most traditional offsets, so I never had to hunt for a method to help retain the heat when preheating splits.

On Earl, I have a solid plate in my grill-top area under the firebox lid when I am just gonna be smoking and I put them under the lid on that plate. If I'm not using the plate and have the grill-top grate in place, I stick them off to one side of the grate under the lid.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Nice first go.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Nice first cook Try putting you wood on top of the smoker so they warm up That will help you keep that TBS
^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^ My thoughts exactly

Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Well there ya go! Earl's configuration is a bit different than most traditional offsets, so I never had to hunt for a method to help retain the heat when preheating splits.

On Earl, I have a solid plate in my grill-top area under the firebox lid when I am just gonna be smoking and I put them under the lid on that plate. If I'm not using the plate and have the grill-top grate in place, I stick them off to one side of the grate under the lid.
actually my firebox is big enough so I just put a split in it on the other side of the fire a few minutes before adding it and it heats up real good.

I started doing this when I forgot to put them on the firebox lid
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Keep it up....looking good. sorry if I'm missing the explanation, but what is the green color on the meat from?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default stickey burners

fine looking briskey try wraping in butcher papper when cooking more than one it`s ok to move them from side to side to even out the cook

Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
smokejackson
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Keep it up....looking good. sorry if I'm missing the explanation, but what is the green color on the meat from?
I had used some of this "pepper supreme" in my dad's spice cabinet. It may be some kind of green peppercorn. Or poor lighting? I ate it all the same!
smokejackson is offline   Reply With Quote