• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tuna Help

Wneill20

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A neighbor gave me 2 lb pice of Tuna Filet I think it is yellow fin. Any suggestions on a brine, marinade and smoking method. I was thinking 225 for a couple hours with apple.

A neighbor gave me 2 lb pice of Tuna Filet I think it is yellow fin. Any suggestions on a brine, marinade and smoking method. I was thinking 225 for a couple hours with apple.

Well, is it a good piece of tuna? Sushi Grade? Many times my neighbor will do the same and give me some chunks of nice yellow fin or blue fin. I either make sushi rolls or fire up some lump in the chimney and place a grate over the chimney. Marinade in a little sesame oil and soy sauce and sear to rare. Never tried smoking it.

Have used teriyaki, wasabi butter and blackened seasoning, all are good. Never tried smoking, always hot and fast, rare to mid rare.

Take a look at Silvrfinger's entry for the Japanese throw down. That's how tuna should be cooked!

I wish it was sushi grade it was frozen for a week when he gave it to me.

Pam spray, sesame seeds, a little salt and pepper - sear on extremely high heat for a very short time....

Sake for drinking,

Slice thin - soy and wasabi or dipping....

in that order

good chow!

RMR

Pam spray, sesame seeds, a little salt and pepper - sear on extremely high heat for a very short time....

this is how i do it.

the only time i smoke tuna all the way through is when i make smoked tuna dip.

Tuna smokes up real nice with a light fruitwood smoke.

Or sear it, either way works great! :mrgreen:

Back