WSM or Big Green Egg?

I had the choice and went for the BGE. One big factor was that I will smoke or grill in winter and figured the BGE would be more efficient than the WSM.

Same here - Egg may be 2x the price, but you can also use it as a grill, pizza oven, etc, so at least for me, it gets 2x the use.

I have a Large BGE and love it. My buddy has a 18" WSM and loves his.

It depends on what you want to do with your smoker. If you primarily want to smoke and have the need to transport it from time to time, go with the WSM. If it's going to be stationary and you want to smoke, grill, cook pizza, etc, the BGE will do it all.

Now, I do carry mine to BBQ comps but I worry every single time that it will crack. I built a special carrier and lash it down ultra careful. My buddy chucks his WSM in the back of his truck and never gives it a second thought. It's pretty much indestructible compared to the Egg.

Kamados are nice and very versatile. If you smoke meats in the winter, buy a kamado.

To me this is like comparing a pickup truck to a freight train.

WSM is a wonderful smoker, so wonderful in fact that plenty of teams use these in competitions. They're light weight, easy to maneuver, easy to use. But, they're really a smoker, and just that. They also aren't insulated. Made very well, and well worth the money.

BGE is a fantastic cooker that can be used as a smoker, an outdoor oven, grill, etc. It's not cheap. eggzlot says 2x a WSM. I'm thinking that's an unbelievable understatement. I think it's more like 4x. They're heavy as **** because they ARE insulation (in essence). They cook/smoke fantastic, and many competitors use these as well. However, you'll see many that have fallen or otherwise broken. Not that you cant break a WSM, but it's a lot more costly to replace one of these than a WSM.

Money not withstanding, I'd choose the XL BGE (or the new XXL BGE) for versatility.

Money, and if I didnt need to cook a pizza, etc. outdoors, and only wanted at smoker, WSM.

BGE= Use less fuel

BGE= More diverse cooking ability.

BGE= Won't rust or dent (but shatters..... see post by another brethren)

WSM= But it seems to me, if ya wanna score more points with old skool Brethren

(someone is bound to get their britches in a knot with this post).

If you are only going to smoke, get the WSM -they are a great cooker.

If you have the cash and want a more versatile cooker get a BGE, but don't go smaller than a Large.

From a capacity standpoint, if you can't afford the XL egg, get the 22" WSM.

If you're thinking more along the lines of Large egg vs. 18" WSM. Get the egg.

So basically, I prefer the egg but I did get 8 butts (62lbs) on my WSM yesterday.

I say just go buy either one because one day you'll probably end up with the other one someday anyway. :grin:

No brainer the way you asked it - BGE based on versatility alone. A better question is would you rather have a BGE or a WSM and a Performer. That is more of an apple to apples question.

I love my Large BGE Awesome grill/smoker. My son loves his WSM If you put a welding blanket around it in cold or rainy weather the WSM should do just fine

As said above it depends on what you’re cooking. If mainly low & slow, go with the Weber as it’s cheaper, has more capacity & is practically indestructible. If in addition to low & slow you also want the ability to duplicate a brick oven for baking (& you only want one cooker), then ceramic is the way to go. All that said, I agree with the comment above that one of each is better still, the more different styles of cookers you have the more versatility & capacity you’ll also have; here’s my arsenal, & with the exception of the mini egg which I find practically useless in light of the other cookers (primarily the smoky joe), I wouldn’t part with any of them & they all get a good regular workout for different cooks:

013_zpsdff3a418.jpg

015_zps1d973e3d.jpg

I tend to use be BGE over the WSM even for smoking- I tend to end up with meat that is a little more moist... but both are really nice units (granted I inherited the WSM and am probably not doing something right :))

No contest for your climate, get the BGE. The Egg is a great cooker but the nest is not useable and the accessories over priced IMHO. Most Eggr's build a table and treasure them for years. The Vision Classic Kamado comes with a nice nest, cover, second rack that needs a bit of attention and decent folding shelves-- a great value. If you can swing it a Big Joe would be high on my list but I don't own one.

Thin metal with cool/cold wind and/or rain prevent consistant smoking here in MO.

Good luck!

I'm thinking compare a BGE to a Primo and and Kamado.

Compare the WSM to one of those Brinkmann bullet things (that are trash).

Otherwise, the best answer is both, but if you only get 1, get the largest BGE you can get.

Back