MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
ColdFyre
On the road to being a farker

Default Chicken Thigh Question: (175 and still bloody?)

So I've been getting the foster farms packs of chicken thighs they have at costco. The price is ok and the convenience of having the 3-4 thighs in a pack is pretty sweet.

Anyhow, last few times I've either smoked or grilled them, the internal temp says they are done (170-180) and after I cut one up for my little boy there is an unusually high amount of blood around the bone and say about 1/2" away from it. Juices are nice and clear everywhere else.

Is this normal?
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I've seen this before. I like to cook dark meat parts to 180 plus. Not the best solution, but it works for me.

Another trick I like when cooking chicken leg quarters. Slice the joint between leg and thigh to allow the juices/fat to escape during cooking. All common sense tells you this is a bad thing to do, but it works great.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
shucker
Got Wood.

I thought dark meat was done at 185????? Either way, shouldnt be bloody at 170. How are you taking temperature and are you sure of the temp at the bone?
shucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
ColdFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucker View Post
I thought dark meat was done at 185????? Either way, shouldnt be bloody at 170. How are you taking temperature and are you sure of the temp at the bone?
Different charts say different things. Ranges from 170-185. I figure if I pull 175 and let it rest for a while the carryover heat should do the trick. When I pull at 185, it's usually overdone.
As far as how I do it, I slide the probe parallel to the bone about 1/2" away. I usually do it to 2 of the pieces just to make sure I'm fairly consistent.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you let the meat come to temperature or put it on cold. If you have a refrigerator cold bone going on, 1/2 inch is enough that the reading is off for next to the bone.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
ColdFyre

I let it sit out of the fridge for a while before putting it on.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

There is a blood vein that runs along side the bone.
If the chicken was not bled properly, which most of them are not, it will hold quite a bit of blood and can not be cooked out.

I got a DQ because of this for thighs that temped at 175-180 + because the blood was still there.

For chicken prep, either in comps or at home, I take a moment and run a knife along there. Remove the vein with tweezers and cook on.

Just "ugly", not unsafe.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you grilling or smoking? You know that chicken gets a pink bone and sort of a smoke ring at the bone when it is smoked?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
ColdFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Are you grilling or smoking? You know that chicken gets a pink bone and sort of a smoke ring at the bone when it is smoked?
It happens with both... Unfortunately the pink is defiantly from blood.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
ColdFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
There is a blood vein that runs along side the bone.
If the chicken was not bled properly, which most of them are not, it will hold quite a bit of blood and can not be cooked out.

I got a DQ because of this for thighs that temped at 175-180 + because the blood was still there.

For chicken prep, either in comps or at home, I take a moment and run a knife along there. Remove the vein with tweezers and cook on.

Just "ugly", not unsafe.

TIM
Thanks Tim... I had heard that 'kosher' chicken will not yield this because it has been bled and cleaned differently. I'll eventually get one and check to see if there is a difference. But since I still have some of the thighs that are giving me issues, I'll try your tip as well. :)