raising prep table with PVC pipe

eggzlot

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Tried to search and could not find past links (though I am sure they are there)

Anyone have a link or some info to share on raising their tables with PVC pipe? What size pipe to get, approx what is a good height for the table and anything else that could be helpful knowledge?

Thanks in advance.

I think we used either 1" or 1.5" PVC, but you'd have to check how wide the legs of your table are, and use the smallest size you can get that will fit the legs. We raised ours up to about 38", but really it's up to you and whatever makes you comfortable. I know my back still ends up hurting after leaning over, but I'm a little on the tall side (6'3").

I would recommend getting end caps for the ends so you don't get dirt in the pipe.

I use 1 inch pvc. How high depends on you. Stand up and think about how you work and measure from there. Get a hacksaw and start cutting!

1 1/2" Sched 40 (it's what I had laying about). Cut it so the table is belly button high.

We used 1 1/4" schedule 40 with a cap on the end. Measure what height you want the surface to be. i think we went about 12" higher. Table is a folding one from Home Depot. You need one that the legs have a curve toward the bottom so the pipe doesn't just slide up over the leg.

Installed some work counters at a chiropractors office and he wanted the tops to be the height his elbows were from the floor when he was standing. No bending that way. My tables are 43" tall.

Thanks for the suggestions. I got my table at Lowes, so I'll just go to Lowes, drag a table over to the PVC pipe area and measure to see what is a tight fit.

My brother in law who is going to help me wanted to see a photo or two just to get an idea - he also may help me build a shelf underneath. Any photos would be great.

Thanks!

I forget what size pipes I used but think it might be 1.5" (+1 again on the end caps too) but I made my to about my mid belly so I'm not hunched over so depending on how tall you are, figure out where it'd need to be to make it comfortable for your working height then cut accordingly

We cut the one end of our pipes at a 45 degree angle. By putting the table leg in the angled end of the pipe you adjust the height of each corner of the table by turning the pipe to help make it level on unlevel ground. Ours are 15" in length I think.

We cut the one end of our pipes at a 45 degree angle. By putting the table leg in the angled end of the pipe you adjust the height of each corner of the table by turning the pipe to help make it level on unlevel ground. Ours are 15" in length I think.

Brilliant!

Here's a picture of a great setup I saw this year. I plan on working on one for myself before the season starts. It has 2 pipes running lengthwise under the shelf. It looks like 8 tees, 4 caps and some pvc pipes are all that's needed.

Attachments

• Table Shelf.jpg
    Table Shelf.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 436
1 1/4" schedule 80 @ 13 1/4" long. No endcaps and they're painted with that hammered silver paint to match the legs. I have to pull off the plastic plugs on the table legs. I have a couple of odd sizes that are a different color for uneven ground which I rarely use.

Here's a picture of a great setup I saw this year. I plan on working on one for myself before the season starts. It has 2 pipes running lengthwise under the shelf. It looks like 8 tees, 4 caps and some pvc pipes are all that's needed.

Ok, now that is nice!

Thanks for the pic!

wallace

One thing I did find was that not all folding tables are the same. Some of them have a lot shorter of a leg to put into the PVC.

This is the tables we use; the PVC is Sched 40 and 19" long:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/lifeti...-table-white-granite/prod6660324.ip?navAction=

Table-2_zps11daefb5.jpg

This type would not work for use as there was not enough leg to insert into the PVC pipe; but from the pic above, looks like I might need to rethink this:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/6-banquet-table-commerical-quality/prod6910044.ip?sprodId=prod6910044

Table-1_zps0ccf35e2.jpg

wallace

1-1/4'' works well for me.. also, at belly button height. prepping meat for 2-3 hours, got to definitely get your table at a comfortable height or your back will be feeling it the rest of the contest.

One thing I did find was that not all folding tables are the same. Some of them have a lot shorter of a leg to put into the PVC.

This is the tables we use; the PVC is Sched 40 and 19" long:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/lifeti...-table-white-granite/prod6660324.ip?navAction=

Table-2_zps11daefb5.jpg

This type would not work for use as there was not enough leg to insert into the PVC pipe; but from the pic above, looks like I might need to rethink this:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/6-banquet-table-commerical-quality/prod6910044.ip?sprodId=prod6910044

Table-1_zps0ccf35e2.jpg

wallace

These tables, I'm 6'6" so did 15" extensions for me, and 12" ones for my wife to do boxes on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Back