MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSinTexas View Post
Here is a video I did grilling some steaks on the Jumbo...peaceful quiet grilling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZcGSFZ6X3X4

Here is my cook log for the beef short ribs: Weather was 60F with light wind.
  • 2:30 – Start
  • 3:00 – 211F at dome
  • 3:30 – 246F at dome. Took a quick peak and since I had it open added three unlit briquettes.
  • 4:45 – 248F at dome. Added ten unlit briquettes.
  • 7:00 – 276F at dome. Ribs looked delicious and I took them off the pit.
  • 7:30 – 275F at dome. 245F at the grate. I was just curious at this point; the ribs were in my belly.
  • 8:00 – 267F at dome. I stirred the coals and restacked with tongs.
  • 8:30 – 257F at dome. All ribs fully consumed.

I ended up buying the 18 inch hinged grate to make adding charcoal easier. If you wanted to do a really long cook then you will need to use lump. With Kingsford the ash was building up fast and there isn't an easy way to clean it out during a cook.

Again, many apologies for the massive pics. Still can't figure out why my flickr photos wont load.
Did the ash clog the bottom vent or was it ok for the 6 hours that you kept track of the fire? And I'm assuming it takes the same cooking grate as the 18" One touch kettles? I believe the old Smokey Joe Platinum had a slightly different size grate.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #17
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I am hoping I have this wrong, but it appears the only Performer with the Touch N Go is the Platinum. None of the other Performer models will have the gas ignition system. That sure seems like a step backwards to me. If anything, I would have liked to see it offered in more models, not less. Hopefully. I am reading this wrong.
benniesdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #18
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benniesdad View Post
I am hoping I have this wrong, but it appears the only Performer with the Touch N Go is the Platinum. None of the other Performer models will have the gas ignition system. That sure seems like a step backwards to me. If anything, I would have liked to see it offered in more models, not less. Hopefully. I am reading this wrong.
You are not wrong. Like I said it is a shame the sisnt put it on all the performers.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 AM   #19
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

I like the Jumbo Joe!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i think its one way to keep the prices down and those with no or non operating
systems have no problems using a chimney.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
i think its one way to keep the prices down and those with no or non operating
systems have no problems using a chimney.
Keep costs down? The silver is $249, it is a just a gold with a side table. I can buy a gold and a side table for $200

Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
I ended up buying the 18 inch hinged grate to make adding charcoal easier. If you wanted to do a really long cook then you will need to use lump. With Kingsford the ash was building up fast and there isn't an easy way to clean it out during a cook.
Good to know. I just lit my Kingsford for the first cook in this grill. I was planning on grabbing that grate in the near future. It looked like the grates would be a direct swap, from what I was reading in the manual. I haven't put any meat on the grill yet, but the size makes it exactly what we were wanting for our RV.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Keep costs down? The silver is $249, it is a just a gold with a side table. I can buy a gold and a side table for $200
But it's not a Performer.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

And without gas ignition neither are the new silver and gold.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
DMSinTexas
On the road to being a farker

C. Bob
It was kind of dark at the end but it did look like the ash was starting to block a portion of the bottom vent. It was halfway closed so it wouldn't take much to obstruct. I am sure I could have taken a stick and pushed some out.

Yes, it takes the same size grate as the regular 18 inch kettle. I swapped it out just to be sure.
DMSinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

So it looks like the performer as we know it went up about $20, and they added newer models. I know none of us like to see prices go up but the fact is they do. I applaud weber for catering to more people by offering what people want most at a lower price. I question if there is a market to support all of these models where there just used to be one. I don't know sales numbers or the market research, but I doubt these were created based on a hunch. I already have a performer and and older JJ, but I think a new JJ is in order, and a performer silver for my inlaws house. Those are perfect grills to fill my wants.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #27
mbshop
Babbling Farker

you may have to do the can mod if that becomes an issue.
at least they got the grate right. still amazes me that they didn't do that with the original one.

Quote:
C. Bob
It was kind of dark at the end but it did look like the ash was starting to block a portion of the bottom vent. It was halfway closed so it wouldn't take much to obstruct. I am sure I could have taken a stick and pushed some out.

Yes, it takes the same size grate as the regular 18 inch kettle. I swapped it out just to be sure.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #28
DMSinTexas
On the road to being a farker

TravelingJ, post pics of that first cook! Yeah, the Jumbo would be perfect for an RV!!

MBShop..educate me, what is the can mod?
DMSinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #29
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingdude555 View Post
So it looks like the performer as we know it went up about $20, and they added newer models. I know none of us like to see prices go up but the fact is they do. I applaud weber for catering to more people by offering what people want most at a lower price. I question if there is a market to support all of these models where there just used to be one. I don't know sales numbers or the market research, but I doubt these were created based on a hunch. I already have a performer and and older JJ, but I think a new JJ is in order, and a performer silver for my inlaws house. Those are perfect grills to fill my wants.
The price of the performer went up but now it comes with a digital timer/clock...might be worth it to some people.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #30
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

No signs of the Jumbo Joe in my area. We probably won't see it in stores here until April.