MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Couple of Weber rotisserie chicken questions

Going to try it for the first time tomorrow. Couple of questions though:
  1. About how long will a 4lb bird take with a standard offset on a Weber kittle (drip pan in the middle, charcoal on each side with all vents wide open)?
  2. What are some good non-sugar rub recipes for rotisseries? I'm afraid sugar will burn. Or will it?
Thanks!

Saiko (Mark)
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
mbshop
Babbling Farker

so many variables. i now cook till the chicken or whatever is done. a 3 lb took me about 1.5 hr but i don't know at what temp. i don't rub the outside. i use a butter herb rub under the skin. maybe some oranges, onions inside but very loosely stuffed.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Many, many, many ways to go about it - here's a simple approach - I usually rinse mine, but may not be essential - anyway, pat chix dry, hit with kosher salt & pepper, let sit uncovered in fridge for a few hours, maybe let it sit out for an hour before cooking. Put on rotis - lately I've only been putting charcoal on one side - drip pan under chix is a great thing to do. I cook chix kinda hot, like 325 or more, I don't bug out if it gets to 400 but I don't get too far away from the cooker if it's in that range. My chix are usually done in 1 to 1.5 hours.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
caseydog

I brine my birds at least four hours (usually overnight), and then pat them dry, and let them sit in the fridge for an hour or two to dry. I don't usually use a rub, but I do often stuff the bird with aromatics and fresh herbs.

Here is my cooking setup. It takes from 60 to 90 minutes, depending on the size, with the kettle running 300-350 at the dome. When the bird is nice and golden brown, probe for temperature at the breast and the thigh.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a 7# bird going on the kettle rotisserie tonight too. I brined with a standard brine of 1 gallon water, 1 cup coarse kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar and added some thyme, rosemary, and savory. I'll truss it with a few apple and onion slices inside. It should be done in a little under 2 hours at 325 dome temp and 375 for 15-20 minutes at the end for crispy skin. I always run my top vent wide open and one touch sweeper vent about halfway for those temps. I bank lit on unlit lump on one side. I can't tell you about daisy vents because so far, I've only grilled direct on my '69. Be careful running wide open everything, it's easy to get way over 400 in a hurry. I never use sugar on my chicken, but you should be fine as far as burning, especially if you use raw/turbinado.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
so many variables. i now cook till the chicken or whatever is done. a 3 lb took me about 1.5 hr but i don't know at what temp. i don't rub the outside. i use a butter herb rub under the skin. maybe some oranges, onions inside but very loosely stuffed.
Same as I do
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

If it starts to get a little dark i cover with foil but poke holes in it cause the renderings will catch fire....don't ask me how I know this.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

yep.........what caseydog said. I personally do the brine, makes a world of difference in my opinion, and I also use a dusting of a little salt, pepper, garlic and sage on the bird as well. A 4 pounder should be pretty quick at 325*-350*, 1.5 to 2hrs would be my guess.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Bigdog

Good thread. I use Lawrys salt, mesquite chunks, and then remove the water pan for the last 15 min or so to crisp up the skin.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I can't imagine you'll screw that up...

You don't need our advice....

Can't wait to see the PRON!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I always use turbinado sugar when I rotis. a chicken, but always go lightly on the rub. Obviously, too much will burn. A lemon, some onion, garlic and some of the rub sprinkled inside the bird help with flavor. I'd say around and hour and forty five minutes to two hours and your bird will be done just right. Its hard to beat a really good rotisserie chicken! Good luck!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Took everybody's advice and went simple. Rubbed the skin with a sliced garlic clove, then hit it with salt and lemon pepper. Didn't go with a brine.

Couple things I learned:
  1. I didn't need nearly as much charcoal as I used. I was afraid it wouldn't last, but as a result my temps shot up even with upper and lower vents cracked. Temp for the whole cook were probably close to 400. Still came out great though!
  2. I found the best way to use the counter-balance was to pull the rod just out of the motor housing (with the chicken already mounted) and let it flop so the heavy side is down. Then attach the counter balance and adjust the travel so the rod rotates smoothly, then put it back in the housing.
Overall it was delicious!! The skin was incredible, I could have just eaten a plate full of skin. Can't wait to play some more!

"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Looks like you nailed it.......I'd chow down on that in a heartbeat man!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #14
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I love doing rotisserie chicken on the Weber. This is my no stress method that works for me. I always dig around until I find two chickens that weigh right at 4lbs or maybe a little less. I use a little oil with my own rub and truss the chickens. I prefer brining, but this works for me either way. This is one of those times when I take out any half burned charcoal and set it aside and start up a chimey filled to the top with new Kingsford charcoal. I put a couple of small pieces of wood in the bottom of the charcoal baskets and then dump the lit charcoal evenly in the two with drip pan in the middle. Just as soon at I dump the charcoal I put the chickens on and start the rotisserie. I personally think this high initial heat helps seal the deal. I put the lid on and set the timer to 1 hr and 20 minutes and leave it alone. When the timer goes off, I check the temp in the thigh and that juices run clean, which it virtually does every time. I pull them off and I am done. This combination of the new Kingsford briquettes and 1hr and 20 mins works for me to the point I almost don't need to check the meat temp.

BTW - your's looks great.
benniesdad is offline   Reply With Quote